Esoteric VRDS-NEO not reading discs

I have an Esoteric K-01 cd/sacd player that is around 7 years old.  Recently the transport tray began to have a problem.  It would only open part way on the first 3 trys.  I was told that it needed a new transport drive belt, so I replaced the belt and the tray opened fine.  However, now the laser does not read the disc consistently.  It has played fine for a few hours, but most of the time it reads "no disc" or "disc error."   have contacted Esoteric and there only response is that I need to send the unit to an authorized Esoteric repair center.  They also have told me that the service manual is not for sale to the public.  This unit has been off Warranty for many years.  The cost to send it to the repair center is over $100 each way.

All this trouble for a part that costs around $0.40 for a generic replacement, and $16 for an authentic belt from Esoteric.  This player cost around $20k new and it is  rendered inoperable after 7 years because of the failure of a cheap belt. I do not think I should have to pay hundreds of dollars to have it repaired.  It does not seem fair to me that Esoteric will not help me to fix this problem myself.

What do you think?  Is there anyone out there who can help me to understand what the problem is with the laser not reading discs properly?  I am willing to pay someone for their help.

russ751

Well stereo5 it looks like you got me again.  I am sorry that your SCD777ES is no longer working.  Mine works fine and still sounds good.  None of this helps me to understand what is happening with my K-01.  Nor does it help me to find a path to getting it fixed other than a rather expensive trip to an authorized Esoteric repair facility.  I may have to sell it as a "boat anchor" and purchase another brand that I have trust in.

I have to agree with others that $200 in shipping cost is a small price to pay if means another 7 years of service?  The only question you need to ask is can I replace the Esoteric with an equally good machine for less than the cost of fixing the K-01?  Pretty sure you know the answer already.  I own the Esoteric and would not be getting rid of it.  

Sorry to hear about your Esoteric issue.

I wish I had a answer.  I would contact Bill Thalman and make an inquiry as to availability and possible repair. He is excellent and I have used him for Conrad Johnson repairs/mods in the past and he was prompt, professional and reasonable.

I would NOT send it to Esoteric if it is the same outfit that is the Teac repair facility in California.  My friend and I have both used the Teac repair and  had very disappointing experiences. (both Teac reel to reel machines so not Esoteric)

I have a XO3SE and K01.  Both purchased used.  Both have been extremally enjoyable and rock solid reliable.  I also had a SCD-777ES and the Esoteric was vastly superior at least in my system.  Most of my audio friends who listened agreed.

IF you decide to keep it and get it fixed  and find someone who can reliably fix it at a reasonable price PLEASE let me know as I intend to keep mine chugging.

A little disappointing as it is a high end Japanese product and the Japanese are usually great at keeping customers happy (at least they used to be). 

Good luck and sorry to hear. 

Thanks for the advice steelhead. How do I contact Bill Thalman?  I also think the Esoteric sounds better than the Sony. I am frustrated with the quality/reliability of the transport. 

If my Esoteric UX-3 ever goes south, I will send it to Esoteric in California.  They now have the special jig to repair the transports which they did not have before.