Neutral Dac?

I’m curious to see people’s opinions on what they believe is the most uncolored dac? Every dac I’ve tried seems to be a flavor that deviates from neutrality in some way (smooths things over, too bright, too soft on transients, lacks bass etc...). Is there a dac that people believe gets all the fundamentals correct with leaving very little sonic footprint? What is the cost threshold needed to achieve it? I’m surprised at my own findings recently but really curious if anyone else has been searching for a fundamentally uncolored dac and what they’ve found.

I realize the most obvious answer is "the dac with impeccable measurements" but I have also found some of them to sound unnatural (dry/bright).

schw06

@audphile1 I appreciate your time and thought in your response and apologize if my response offended you…not my intent at all. I appreciate your advice about not seeking out absolute neutrality in system building.
Maybe I should put a little more “meat on the bones” of my point/question as the lack of background has led the thread a bit astray. I’ve been afflicted with the hobby for close to 25 years. If you look at my feedback (which embarrassingly is probably only half the transactions) you’ll see I’ve rifled through way too many speakers/amps/sources. For future system building I’m just trying to assemble a few pieces to use as neutral/relatively uncolored benchmarks to compare against. They won’t necessarily be in my primary system (but might depending on synergy).
For me, too much seasoning in a system with compensating one colored component for another is not the approach I want to take and believe there’s usually a spot or 2 where uncolored gear improves the system…hence my question about what people view as a neutral/uncolored dac.

The two most uncolored components I’ve had in my system was a Bryston BP-6 stereo preamp and my current Musician Pegasus R2R DAC. The Pegasus does a superb job of maintaining tonality and fluidity but without truncating upper treble detail that some R2R DACs get accused of doing. I recently added a Denafrips Iris DDC to allow me to take advantage of the Pegasus’ i2S input and got yet another significant boost in transparency, detail, soundstage, and imaging. At $1100 I think it’s the epitome of not only a neutral but also a natural-sounding component that to me is the best of both worlds and is also a great value for the level of performance it provides.