Do You Tell Others How Much You Have Invested in Your System?

Putting security and personal safety issues aside, do you share with others how much you have invested in your system?

I can see cases when we share with those who are generally interested what the "tariff" is for superb audio reproduction. Or, those who are already know how tall you have to be to ride the ride.

Can you think of any other reasons (accountants, lawyers, insurance, etc)? Afterall, when your spouses second cousin pulls in the driveway in their Minivan, bragging about fact that you have $10k invested in cables may not be the best way show common interests?

What say you?

128x128waytoomuchstuff

Nope. Most of my friends are not audio lovers and the price would seem too high as most don’t have home audio systems. I have one family member that only cares about price, I never tell him because it drives him nuts. He’s the type that only judges quality of sound by cost, musical tastes by billboard ratings. Besides, it’s rude to ask and to tell. In the end I know and that is enough pain.

Well I never worry about security but I do occassionally put rough numbers to my system with others. In my mind to show the great value it is. 

@mikelavigne 

I don't know if it makes a difference, I'll be 60 next September, but will you adopt me?  Absolutely beautiful audio room.  I can't begin to fathom the experience sitting in that chair listening with the lights dimmed.  Amazing.

I keep gear a very long time, but it is not intended to be an investment.  Still, certain parts of my system are probably worth more now than when I purchased them.  The Western Electric compression midrange driver and horn are worth much more now than when I purchased them around 12 years ago.  My amps and linestage are also worth more now because of the content of Western Electric transformers and other valuable vintage parts.  An Audio Note amp is currently listed at about five times the price I originally purchased it, so I would guess that its used price would also hold up.