For Gallo Nucleus Reference Owners

Curiosity has the best of me here. I am still using my Gallo's and loving them but the inevitable upgrade question has bitten me. If you have moved from the Gallo's to other speakers what are they ? Was it a move you're still happy with ? Looking forward to some interesting opinions. Thanks, Will

audioneurotica

I haven't owned them but I did sell a bunch of Gallo speakers a few years ago. One of the great things about the 3.1 for instance, was their mid-range and tweeter detail (in my opinion) so I'd look at Magnepan off the top of my head or something with a good large ribbon tweeter like Aurum Cantus for example (look at the V7F - I have those).

I have owned my Gallo Ref 3.5's for the last 12 years and have no intention of replacing them.  Most loudspeakers have a dome tweeter with a port in a box.  That design is about as far from the Ref 3.5's you can get.  

I would look to Spatial X4's for something closer to the Ref 3.5's.  The air motion transformer may be similar to the CDT unit dispersion and purity.  There is no enclosure and a minimal crossover which gets out of the way.

I have no experience with Magneplanars but the enclosure-less design and the ribbon tweeter maybe a nice alternative as well.

If you have the Ref 3.5's I would strongly recommend you keep them.

I hope this helps!

I might ad that there is a high demand for Gallo Ref 3.5's.  Currently there are two "wanted" ads on US Audio Mart for them.  I was recently offered $7K for my pair plus shipping.  This motivated me even more to keep them.  When they are gone they will never be replaced!  I have them paired with the best equipment I can afford.