Trenner & Friedl Sun

Hi all, thinking about buying Trenner & Friedl Suns for a small nearfield set up, mostly analog listening with a Belles Aria Integrated. Has anyone heard these who can comment on them. I know there are lots of alternatives, mostly I am looking for the opinion of folks who have heard or own these speakers.

regg

I had the Trenner & Friedl Suns on home audition when I was setting up my nearfield system a few years ago. I felt that the volume needed to be turned up to a moderate level before they came to life, notably the bass. Nearfield is close range playing at lower volume, which made them sound thin and undynamic. I feel that they are better suited for midfield listening (at least 6 ft), driven at a higher volume.

You should audition them and see if they would work out for you. If you are in the US, ask T&F's distributor Profundo (https://profundoaudio.com/contact-us) about dealers in your area and options for auditioning.

Thanks mspot, that is very helpful. I heard the speakers at a dealer with two different amps, a Heed Elixer ( which is often demoed with these speakers) and a Leben 600. The pairing with the Heed was shockingly good but the Leben just didn’t work. I was about 8 feet away in a small listening room. My listening position will be about 6 feet away in a small room with very good acoustics. I would like for the Suns to work because the small form factor is perfect. Even Harbeth P3’s would be a little big but would work wonderfully. I will try to demo them but they are hard to get. Doesn’t look like many on the forum have these since there are not many responses

Post removed 

Funny that you would mention Harbeth P3's, because they were what I ended up choosing. I listen mostly to classical music, and Harbeth is excellent at realistic reproduction of unamplified acoustic instruments and voice.

I listen 4 feet away from speakers on my nearfield desktop system. With the Suns, I wanted to turn the volume up for better sound and listen from farther away. I loved the tiny size and clean design and really wanted it to work, but at close range it was louder than I want for music listening. The P3 does well playing low volume at close range.