Anyone tried the original Playstation 1 for CD?

I read the story in Six Moons about the original Playstation 1 being an excellent CD player. Has anyone actually tried doing this? Bob
128x128baranyi
Forgot to add. Anyone know where you can get a cheap 2-5 inch monitor with one rca jack to use as a "display" for this thing. I see all sorts of rear view car type displays but its not clear how they are powered or if the accept the single rca video out from the ps1...

given the costs of mini lcds there has to be one out there.....
Kbuzz, thanks for confirming. I guess I need to get one that is "gently used...?" I'm only paying 20.00 but I'd like to get one that's reliable if such a thing exists.

My younger son told me to turn it upside down, a gamer's trick, but it didn't help.

The sound is great--some albums that I've listened to on LP and CD for years sound just amazing on the PS-1. So amazingly alive and almost magical. I'm definitely on board (at least until I can afford a high-dollar CDP)
I am using a PS2 remote with the IR Receiver its the best way to control these units and its factory Sony so it doesn't look cheesy.
Nahum- Is the IR receiver currently available. If so, where can they be found?
I just today finished modding my fourth Sony PS-1 (Model 1001); the output stage, etc. The only requirements for anyone to do the same is to be able to solder, desolder and to think and reason. The end results will reward you for your small effort. In a few days I'll pull the ps board and remove the caps and replace with better quality ones. I'll then relocate the ps to a external box via a umbilical cord. This will greatly reduce the heat in the main console.

You really need to connect the video out a TV, monitor, etc. to see and use the menu and to learn to use the RC properly.

DIY mods of the Sony PS-1 (Model 1001 with 4309 dac chip) can be found here.
Also a tutorial on how to adjust the laser to read all your discs ( a small screwdriver and multimeter is required).
http://dogbreath.de/PS1/index.html

The RC transmitter and receiver can be found on, yep, eBay.
RC: Sony-10150
RC Receiver: Sony SCPH-10160
RC Receiver: Nyko Remote Free with dip switches set at #1 on, #3 on, #5 on.

I would be pleased if some of you took advantage of the free mods info and DidIY.
You won't regret it.

Regards,
Marvin