Help with decision on selling Sony SCD-1

I've owned the SCD-1 for a couple of years (purchased it used) and have been very happy with how it sounds. However, I don't own but around 20 SACDs, and it's hard to imagine buying many more. Thus, my primary concern is redbook sound.

On the other hand, I've been buying more and more vinyl of late and am thinking about upgrading my turntable rig (NAD-33 and Ortofon OM 20).

It strikes me that if I sold the SCD-1, I could buy a less expensive CD player and have a decent amount of cash left over to invest in my vinyl rig.

The question is whether or not I really can improve upon the redbook sound of the SCD-1 for considerably less money?

I have been told by some the that even the Oppo 971 sounds better than the SCD-1 on redbook, whereas others have said the SCD-1 can't be beat without spending considerably more money.

I'd be interested to hear from folks who have owned the SCD-1 and sold it for something less expensive, as well as others who may some knowledge on this issue. Thanks.
jonathan1257
I guess the key point I was hoping make in this thread is that I'd like to upgrade my vinyl setup, say spending around $800-$1000. The funds left over from the sale of the SCD-1 (say another $800-$1000) would be spent on a replacement RBCD set up. Again, I'm not looking to invest an additional $1000 on my digital rig, but rather replace it (if possible) with something equally enjoyable, but less expensive.

The question remains, then, can I replace the SCD-1 for, let's say, $1000 and still be happy with the sound?

Thanks again for the input, folks--I appreciate it.
I would stay away from getting the SCD-1/777es modded. Sony does not have anymore Main Board for the SCD-1/777es in production. If you get it modded, you are at a very high risk of throwing it away if something happens to the main board. Here's a direct quote of what Audiomod have to say:

"You were told that the Black Gate cap mods to the Main Board would not be reinstalled because these
boards are no longer available and I did not want to take any risk in damaging the board. Eric was told this as well as you.

Richard Kern
Audiomod"
The sky is falling!..I would stay away of getting the Sony modded especially to the main board....The main board is no longer available. The only way to get it fix, is to buy another 777es and/or SCD-1 and swap out the parts.

Here's a direct quote from what Audiomod has to say about it:

"You were told that the Black Gate cap mods to the Main Board would not be reinstalled because these
boards are no longer available and I did not want to take any risk in damaging the board. Eric was told this as well as you.

Richard Kern
Audiomod"
I've owned the sony scd-1 and purchased a moon eclipse.They arrived almost at the same time.Before either machine even arrived I considered having the sony modded as I had heard how great it was modded. After comparing the two machines one thing became obvious.The eclipse was so much better in every aspect that I immediately put the sony for sale.It played in my system for only a few hours.The redbook on the sony really isn't very good.The sony has great bass control but man is it suffers from a bad case of digititis.
On the other hand I heard a realatively cheap Jolida and was very impressed.For the money I thought it was a great machine and much more listenable than the sony.