CD transports; do they really matter

In my pursuit of total sonic harmony, I have been investigating whether a CD transport ( to replace my bulky and aged Luxman CD player ) would be a good option.  I had an interesting conversation with the manufacturers rep of a respected brand regarding his companies CD transport.  He basically said its all in the DAC, the transport, as long as its not a cheap component, does not make much or any difference. So, I ask does it really matter?

mdrone

@stuartk

You could order the Pro-ject from one of the online audio sellers than offer returns and return it if you didn’t like it. The proof is in the listening!

This is a very good suggestion @mdrone assuming that the Pro-Ject is within your budget range. Listen and evaluate in your own audio system. If you deem it is not worth it then return it after your trial period.

I’ve owned an early generation Esoteric transport with the VRDS disc clamping mechanism and also the P.S.Audio Memory PWT. Both were exceptionally good CD transports but the Pro-Ject RS2T is just better from A to Z in all conceivable ways. Your listening impressions may or may not be the same as mine.

Charles

Tried 3 different transports into my Mojo Evo dac. Oppo (good), Pioneer (better), Esoteric (best). The differences are easily heard. The Esoteric with its VRDS transport is the winner by a wide margin.

@charles1dad The belief that it’s all about the DAC is misguided in my opinion.

Comparing different transports with the same DAC is robust. Easy. And Sigma Delta DACs are mostly all very good these days. So, yes. Cannot comment on R2Rs but I understand from reviews that they vary. Yeah.

However something that may be quite relevant, I reckon, is that in comparing a CDP with a transport plus DAC, is that the DACs are in fact being compared.

The external (high quality) DAC with the internal DAC of the CDP of years past. "Aged Luxman CDP". I have a aged Technics CDP wasting space with something called MASH. It’s not pretty.

What I reckon most folk would be interested in is comparing a transport to their CDP where the same DAC is attached - if the CDP has digital out. I don’t know if CDPs generally have digital out. Especailly if they are like maybe 10 or 15 + years old.

And as I found recently, the transport mechanism in the CDP can become tired and require replacement by a technician (total cost for me was less than $100).  So that aspect is different as well.  But I digress.

@noske :

"However something that may be quite relevant, I reckon, is that in comparing a CDP with a transport plus DAC, is that the DACs are in fact being compared".

Perhaps the answer to this is to run a digital cable from the CDP (thereby bypassing its internal DAC) to a standalone DAC, then compare that pairing to the sound of a standalone transport connected to the same standalone DAC.