starting equiment that ic cold from being shipped

Is it a real thing that you court problems if you turn on an ice cold amplifier or pre-amp without waiting 24 hours for temperature to rise.  I have long awaited Krell FPB and KCT shipping tomorrow,  It's single digits in the Midwet.  Should I wait a full 24 hours for the equipment to warm inside before introducing any electricity into the components?

bossa

Tubes yes you should wait a bit so everything warms up some so the temperature change isn’t as drastic.

SS, probably won’t make any difference.

All the best.

If it were me? 24 hours. Keeping equipment wrapped would make evaporation take longer and increases risk 

Some water is going to condense inside the amp as it warms up

Water + amplifier = bad

Need time to everything to come to ambient temperature and for condensation to fully evaporate

It sucks, but better to wait than to fry the amp on your first turn-on

We have had a number of loudspeaker customers complain that the speakers don't work in extreme cold because the ferrofluid freezes.  Yes, this is a problem that can rip your drivers apart if you take a speaker that's been sitting at -30C and try to instantly get loud sound out of it.  When they are outdoor speakers, we recommend a small conditioning signal of low wattage, nothing that will make the coils move, for a few minutes, just to warm up the innards and get the fluid back to being fluid.  It may take a short while to get the sound up to normal, but these are the things we have to do with climate change.

I imagine the same holds true for the electronic components.  Nothing works as it should when it is as cold as a stone.  Give it some time to come to room temperature to avoid the possibility of damaging components.

I was told specifically by the Krell repair manager to NEVER blow a hair dryer into the amp, so that won't be happening.