Magnepan Service HORRIBLE???

I am now into my 5th week waiting for Magnepan to evaluate shipping damage to a pair of MG 3.7's. My wife and I paid Craters and Freighters to build a custom wood crate for them so they would not be damaged further by the trip from Richmond to Minnesota.

I know everyone will say they are a small company and I need to be patient but this is ridiculous to my mind. I have called 5-6 times and the seller has also called. The last time I called Shelia acted like she had never spoken to me before despite the previous phone conversations.

I know the MG 3.7's are supposed to be sensational speakers and I bought my first pair of Magnepans in 1975 but I am seriously considering flipping these if Magnepan ever inspects and repairs them. The aggravation simply is not worth it to me.

A month and I can not even get anyone at Magnepan to open the crate, inspect them, and give me a damage estimate to provide to FedEx who is ready to pay the claim. Unfortunately, they can't pay until Magnepan provides an estimate of the damage and then I have to wait for the actual repair.

I never thought I would feel this way about Magnepan but this current situation has changed my mind to a huge extent. This is just ridiculous the way I see it and I can see no good excuse for it.
etmerritt33
Obviously the OP has a right to express his experiences and opinions. At the same time participants is this forum have the right to an opinion about the OP's problem(s)

Exactly why public forums were introduced.
It would be interesting to hear from more people who have bought Magnepan products new (not used) and have had issues , to see in what manner Magnepan responded to them. I can't comment on Magnepan, having never bought anything of theirs, but for me, if I hear from word of mouth or see in print that a company's customer service is indifferent, then it doesn't matter if they're product is the best thing since sliced bread...... I wont buy. And yes, I hold off judgement on that until I see that it's not just one person who has a bug up their butt towards any company (not saying thats what the op's case is).
Still no estimate from Magnepan. I will call them again today. Today marks the beginning of week 6.

Almost sorry I started this thread but I could care less if any and all from Magnepan read the thread and all the various comments. It should never have gotten to this point. I had talked to Shelia in the repair department at least 4 times BEFORE the speakers arrived. She had all the info and issued me an RA number. Then, when I called her after no one at Magnepan could find my speakers after Estes confired someone at Magnepan signed for them on June 25th. (only ones in the shop in a wood crate I strongly suspect) and she acted like she had never heard of me before when I asked her to check for me that week???

I have made my decision and I am not trying to influence anyone on what they do. I am selling both pairs of Magnepans (1.7's and 3.7's) and I am done with Magnepan period. My 37 year affection for Magnepan is over with after this treatment. I will not even unpack the 3.7's and set them up if I ever see them again. This is just a ridiculous situation and I do not need the aggravation.

On the whole issue of buying used I have done that for many years. In the beginning with Audio Art in Richmond being a large Magnepan/ARC dealer it made it easy to buy used and then begin trading up to the larger models which for me was the Tympani's. In this case I paid close to a new price just due to the backlog of MG3.7 orders and nothing else. Also, there is no Magnepan dealer in Richmond any longer as Audio Art is under new ownership and is primarily an Avalon Acoustics dealer now. The practice of buying used allows upward mobility for people wanting to upgrade. So, it should work well for everyone.
Etmerritt33, I also criticized a bit in my previous post, mainly about the $1K spent to ship them to Magnapan. Seems like you just dug yourself deeper into this loss.

But: the Magnapan customer service issues do sound awful. Almost Like they're *trying* to screw you perhaps. Maybe, b/c you didn't buy them new, from an auth. dealer? Or they don't want to open the giant wood crates? (I assume you haven't said stuff to anyone there to antagonize).

Even if they finally repair them.....& you pay, even more hundreds of $$ to have them shipped back.....I'd hope the repair is really done right?

Only thing I could say that *might* be helpful, is that I've had to "eat it", at least a couple of times, on a really bad house, or car purchase. It happens, but it ain't fun.

Finally, try to "keep it in perspective", if you can--(easier said than done!), but Good luck.......
Tom, sorry to hear this is still dragging on, yet I believe you have been patient. If there is anything I can do to help please give me a call (free from my website)...it would be great to catch up with you anyway.
Brian