Top big-name monitors current versions .

1. Focal Diablo
2. Totem Mani 2 Signature
3. B&W 805D
4. Dynaudio C1 Signature
5. Wilson Duettes

Any comments on these? I thought these were the usual suspects (but I'm open to other suggestions.) Thanks in advance, of course, for your time. I left out the Harbeths because as a former SHL5 owner I never liked them because they didn't have enough resolution and detail. I like lots of character and good texture on vocals. I don't need deep or propulsive bass, just detailed controlled tight bass, not thick bass, bass that is "just there" as a foundation when the music has it. I also left out Joseph Pulsars because after a listening session at the NY Axpona show I thought the vocals did not have enough definition. I liked Kharma 3.2's level of definition, but they were too piercing and tipped up in the highs on popular music for me (and I don't want a floorstander, just a standmount, probably under 60 pounds so I can carry them up & down stairs easily by myself if I need to). Thanks.
rgs92
Marten Duke. I have forgotten about these. Have received several recommendations on these and they seem to be pretty well built.

Extravaganza, I think the OP is looking for more resolution and detail. In this aspect, I suppose the SHL5 can be bettered. Although initial impressions are positive, perception can change through time when one has lived with the speaker for a considerable period.

Nevertheless, I do agree with your thoughts on small bookshelves with small drivers. Some of these monitors do make the bass sound larger than intended, ie. false blown up bass, and the result can at times be undesirable. Having said that, larger bookshelves with drivers bigger than 6.5" will (generally) ameliorate the false impression of bass as these speakers usually go down to 40-45Hz which is quite adequate for a balanced sound delivery. Loudspeaker designers will usually bump up the bass on monitors with drivers smaller than 5.5" to make it sound fuller at the bottom end for a more balanced presentation, though most of these smaller bookshelves usually roll off the bass at around 55-60Hz. Too much low frequency lift and the speaker will sound unbalanced. One typical example is the PMC LB1 Signature. The bass on this speaker seems to sound forced as if it was pumped out from the box in uneven chunks IMO. Perhaps a trait of transmission line designs.
Rgs92,
OK. Here goes.
I'm familiar with all the brands you mention.
I haven't heard all their current offerings.
I am partial to my Avalon Avatars. I know these aren't current, but they do everything I want in a 2 way, very well. I just can't part with them.
This week, I'll be changing to my Usher BE-718s. This speaker is a giant killer, IMO. This Usher tweeter beats every brand you mention (again IMO) except the Dynaudio.
If you haven't heard a pair, I think you should try them...
Joseph Audio Pulsar is my current favorite monitor. The 3xl from Devore is also quite good. For Totem, the Element Series is their new top-of-the-line, and I think the Torrent driver is "better" than the HiVi (still used in their older line, including the Mani). The Focal Diablo is a beast, but just make sure you feed it lots of red meat. The Marten Duke also got recommended to me as a tour-de-force in this segment.
Rgs92, IF you can find a pair of Sonus Faber Guarneri's, I would suggest giving them a listen. The original Hommage is my personal favorite, but the Evolutions (which I have not heard) are the latest in the line and look very promising. The Memento's are worth a listen if you cannot find the Hommage's, which is a tough task these days.
On vocals and strings, IMHO these are the speakers to own.
With Bobheinatz, I have Intuitive Design Summits, incredible speakers.

Dale does need to revamp that antiquated PDF website, otherwise I could care less when listening, they're that good.