Can Vandy's get along with cats?

I'm currently a proud owner of a pair of Vandersteen 3A sig., and am considering getting a cat. I've held off up to this point because I'm concerned that the cat would shred the socks on the Vandersteens. It's a big enough concern that I have thought about getting different speakers. I'm curious if anyone has had any experience with cats and Vandersteens sharing the same space. Has this worked for anyone in the past?

Thank you very much,
robshrode
...I would recommend that you either make sure the cat is declawed

Not every cat is going to use the speakers as a scratching post and before you do something extreme as this, maybe do some prevention such as covering the speakers ( think slip cover ) when the speakers arent in use/your not home.
Let me get this straight... You are thinking about changing speakers because you want a cat? Have you thought about seeking professional help?
I have three cats and a year ago moved my Vandy's into the living room where they can now get to them. I feared the worst but the most that they have done is laid down on the top of the speakers where the fabric makes a soft place to sleep. None of the cats are declawed. I did nothing to discourage them. After all the bad press I had read for cats and Vandys I was pleasantly surprised. YRMV. Good luck!
There is no definitive answer.

I've had one grill cloth clawed "one time" in the past 21 years (total of 8 cats/3 still with us).

Many of our cats being feral rescues (one was both feral and bi-polar).

This said, they damaged a leather sofa (both arms ripped to shreds), one leg on an old Monterey dining table was used as a scratching post (one out of four isn't bad), various rugs, carpet, bedding (during the last stages of their lives), a few paintings (worth more than the stereo) and one sprayed the coffee maker while it was in the process of brewing (the bi-polar one:-).

All in all they have been very well behaved, IMO, when compared to all the things I've screwed up over the past 56 years.

As your speaker socks are replaceable I'd start him/her out with the Vandies.
Anyone concerned with the well being of an animal is NOT the one that needs professional help. If spending more on speakers is necessary in trying to be responsible, will the poor please get out of the way of the rich. I commend Robshrode.