McIntosh or Bryston amps for Legacy Speakers

Is anybody using Mac or Bryston amps with the Legacy Whisper or Focus speakers? Very interested in knowing the pros and cons...Also interested in knowing which amps are popular with these speakers and why.
karsajid
11-15-11: Mr_m
I've tried Bryston amps with the bigger Legacies and thought the overall sound was rather bright and edgy in the upper mids. Now using a Mac MC-402 SS. This seems like a match made in heaven for the Legacies. IMO.

@Mr_M, thanks for your response. Which Legacy speaker do you use with the Mac 402? I am most interested in the Mac 452, but wonder if it will drive my Whisper XDs to its fullest potential. What is your pre-amp?

Does the Mac give you a warmer, richer midrange compared to the Brystons? Thanks...
Karsajid, I don't recall if we've conversed on email - there are too many monikers to recall - but if not you're welcome to contact me.

I have used/reviewed Jeff Rowland, VAC, Cambridge Audio, Monarchy Audio, Pathos, and Coda among others with Legacy speakers.

With the mid'highs for the Whisper DSW I enjoy the Pathos Classic One MkIII; I am using a single Cambridge Audio Azur 840W on the bass. It is possible for you consider a different amp for the Mid vs. High level inputs to the speakers. It will take some playing with the options, and you can adjust the filters to your liking. The active x-over system is quite involved and will take much longer to achieve perfection to your ear than a regular speaker. However, the potential vastly outstrips a speaker with passive x-over. :)

Finally, if you want sweeter, warmer midrange seriously consider the Pathos, as it has one of the most beguiling midrange presentations I've heard from any of the amps I've used - that's why it's on my Mids with the DSW.

However, if you have not worked with the gain/filters of the XD for your current amps you may wish to do so prior to seeking new amps. I can discuss with you about that.

Hello Doug. Nice to hear from you. We did converse at length over email about setting up the Whispers, and your advise and experience is always valuable to me.

In the last few days I have tried the Bryston 7B SST and the Pass Labs XA100.5 with quite different results. I have also used the Ayon Triton tube amp.

It seems to me that the Whispers let the different characteristics of the amps come thru quite clearly.

I am going to try a McIntosh amp very soon and will hopefully soon come to a conclusion about which amp to buy.

Will keep this post updated for those who are interested in knowing about amp synergy with their Legacy speakers.
I have finally ordered the Coda 15.0 Class A amp for my Whisper XD. Does any one here have a similar setup? Coda with Legacy speakers?
Sgr now runs Codas with his Helixes, and it sounds very good. Maybe he'll chime in.

John