using Velodyne sub in 2-channel setup?

I want to use pure diect mode on Marantz receiver because sound quality is better than stereo. If I run L/R preouts to sub in, then sub out to power amp to speakers using sub x-over, will I lose signal stregth or sound quality? Should my better interconnects be used in front of sub or in front of amp? I was thinking amp.
mcpherson
What Zman is describing is the way I have my sub hooked up. A second set of speaker cables is hooked to the same speaker terminals as the main speakers. It sounds all wrong, but the input impedance through the sub's speaker (high level) inputs is high enough that it isn't a problem. Then, as Lewhite says, set a low frequency on the sub's crossover.
so if i use high level inputs, the sub will still use the built in amp? I will end up with 2 sets of speaker leads coming out of my power amp? (parallel)
If I use the high level input, will the crossover still filter out low frequency from other speakers?
I finally hooked up the Velodyne using the high level speaker inputs. I had to turn the volume way down on the sub and toy with the crossover a bit. Seems to work well.
Has anyone else noticed that the bass seems less defined hooked up with the high level inputs?