Discussion of Class D Amps Application & Experiences

With all the time off that our current situation has allowed recently, I became intrigued by the idea of class D amplification. I have always been against this type of amplifier but the more I have read the more I have also learned. There are lots of threads here on this subject many of which result in arguments about which amplifier class is better. I do not want to do that here. As I consider a class D amp I need to let you know that I currently use a fairly powerful class A/B SS amp and pre-amp into an efficient pair of speakers rated at 4 ohms. My choice of equipment has always been focused on musicality over absolute detail. I want the music to sound natural and not sterile. I seem to have achieved that sound. If I switched to class D amplification that would also be my intended goal although a bit more refined detail would be fine. I have considered pairing the amp with a tube pre to help achieve my desired sound. So why would I change? My goal would be to save money over my current gear while maintaining my desired sound.

I have researched brands such as Nord, Primare, AGD & Nuprime. I have also looked at brands such as Jeff Rowland & Merrill but those are way out of my price range. My target would be $6000 - $7000 or less. I'm about performance not price. So given that background information I would like to hear from those who have made the leap, what your experience has been (likes and dislikes), what amp did you replace and any comments about one brand over the other. Your experience with demos etc. Do you use a tube or SS line stage?
Thanks
128x128falconquest
Anyone using the Crown 1002 class “d” amps.Several you tube reviews like it.
Because of their high frq noise, Class D amps can be a problem for tweeters with wide band frequency response and high frequency break up. Excess energy (not music related) can cause the breakup to induce distortion.
This statement is entirely mythological. Class D amps do put out a small sine wave called the 'Residual'; even with a powerful amp the residual is of no concern to any tweeter.
Whoever mentioned it I do think you might be  better off plugging class D straight into wall with no filter/ conditioner. At least that was what I found as well.
I dont know much about the technical or engineering arguments but when I listen to mine- Class D definitely has its pluses, and the ones I've used have speed, control, imaging, transparency and detail that is pretty impressive. And you also notice low distortion, what some describe as the sqeaky clean class D sound. Where it can fall a little short is harmonic overtones, I can notice it relative to the tube or class A amps I've had/have but the overall tonality is plenty good enough to me, or more specifically, easier to overlook given its other pluses. Sometimes class D is described as being tube like in sound, I don't think so, at least not in a classic tube sound sense; mine and others I've heard don't have the tonal density usually associated with tubes. The only quality of mine that might be slightly reminiscent of tube is it has an immediacy and neutrality through the mid range that made me think of some single ended triodes I once auditioned.  I don't use one exclusively, but it's good to have one around. 

Listening99

-running some pascal X Pro 3's just now and love them, no real weak spots. Have also ran Purifi's, Ice 1200's and the Orchards within the last 6 months as i'm working on an all active speaker system.

-Purifi's & Orchards seem more similar than different, at least to my ears and in my system, and with my speakers, very clean/ linear from top to bottom

-1200's a bit richer/fuller in the bass region comparatively speaking

I think it's important to note with class d that power supplies/filters, and power cables matter and what maybe wonderful in one system may not be great in another.

Enjoy the journey folks,

Don

@falconquest I apologize, just saw your question to me.
The M700's just didn't come alive for me. It has been more than a year, so I'm afraid I can't be as specific as I would like to be. And I readily admit that my expectations were low, so I'm sure my perception was colored by that. However the Rowlands are so spectacular that there is no question in my mind that I made the right choice. I'm trying different tubes in my PS Audio BHK line stage and discovering how much different tubes influence the sound.