GREAT NEWS! The Coda Technology new #16 amplifier will arrive this week

I was just informed that Coda's brand new model #16, which is based on the latest generation of improvements used in the #8, will be arriving later this week for review for The Stereo Times website.  Since the reviews I have done on the #8 amplifier and the 07x preamplifier, I have received numerous inquires when I'll get this piece in for review.

This beast of an amplifier, over hundred pounds with one of the largest power supplies in a single chassis design on the market, delivers 100 Class A before it crosses over into A/B. The Coda #8, is in my opinion, one of the best SS amps on the market for under ten grand.  I expect, based on the run Coda is on with their new generation of gear, that the #16 will be a beautiful musical performer.  We shall see! I still find it amazing based on build quality/performance that Coda's prices are so damn reasonable.  Yes, the #16 will retail for around 12K, not inexpensive.  However, I guarantee if this amplifier was manufactured by other high-end American or European companies it would be triple the price. If the #16 takes the already superlative performance of the #8 to another level, it will be truly a "killer" of an amplifier. 

teajay
Hey markusthenaimnut,

Even if you do not exceed the class A rating of the #8 you still get an overall higher level of fitness /polish to the overall sonic presentation with the #16 amplifier. It takes the already wonderful level of performance of its less expensive sibling to a more effortless level that just sounds more relaxed and musical. I have reviewed both and that's what I experienced. There are at least two other GON members who started with the #8 and went to the #16 with the same experience. 
Hey twoleftears,

No, the Magnus amplifier is the solid state division of Canary Audio. I have reviewed a couple of their pieces (DAC/amplifier) which were very good along with their superlative tube gear. However, this has nothing to do regarding this thread on Coda's new generation of amplifiers.
I have the spec sheets for both the CODA #8 and #16 from CODA. If someone can point me to a shared online location to upload, I can do so. A bit ridiculous that info is not available on the CODA web site however, the company is good at returning emails.

I was considering 3 amps, Benchmark AHB2 | Luxman m900u | CODA #8 or #16. I have heard the AHB2 and m900u. I like both of them a lot but have a few issues, the AHB2 is a little under-powered but I like the incredible silence on that amp. The m900u is noisier but is sweeter and sounds great. 

I have a chance to either audition of buy blind the #16 (and save a few bucks) . That SNR of 130 on the CODA #16 was eye popping to me (SNR of 116 on CODA #8). It is almost as good as the AHB2 but with the sweeter character of the Luxman. It seems a best of both worlds, I think I am sold.

My preamp is the Benchmark HPA4 with a SNR of 137 so I want an amp very close to that. I can hear the difference in the silence.
Back in Jan or Feb 2020 I was PMing someone here who had bought the AHB2 and also the CODA # 15.5. The CODA was bought just before the #16 came out. It is supposed to have all the same circuitry as the #16 except for a smaller power supply. Last week, I saw this persons CODA #15.5 on sale on USAudiomart for the price of a new CODA #8.  My audio money is tied up in a financial investment for a little while longer. So today, I cannot go for that #15.5 myself. Just an FYI.