GREAT NEWS! The Coda Technology new #16 amplifier will arrive this week

I was just informed that Coda's brand new model #16, which is based on the latest generation of improvements used in the #8, will be arriving later this week for review for The Stereo Times website.  Since the reviews I have done on the #8 amplifier and the 07x preamplifier, I have received numerous inquires when I'll get this piece in for review.

This beast of an amplifier, over hundred pounds with one of the largest power supplies in a single chassis design on the market, delivers 100 Class A before it crosses over into A/B. The Coda #8, is in my opinion, one of the best SS amps on the market for under ten grand.  I expect, based on the run Coda is on with their new generation of gear, that the #16 will be a beautiful musical performer.  We shall see! I still find it amazing based on build quality/performance that Coda's prices are so damn reasonable.  Yes, the #16 will retail for around 12K, not inexpensive.  However, I guarantee if this amplifier was manufactured by other high-end American or European companies it would be triple the price. If the #16 takes the already superlative performance of the #8 to another level, it will be truly a "killer" of an amplifier. 

teajay
I agree with Terry on all accounts of this amp.  He is far better at conveying what he hears in writing than I am.  I do rely on his reviews and have never been disappointed once hearing the Reviewed product.
I don't see a model 8 or 16 on the Coda website?   Looking for more info...specs, etc.?
First, mapman the Coda website definitely needs to be up dated, if you want all the information on specs just call or Email Doug Dale and he will provide the information you are seeking.

Secondly, on to smodtactical questions:

I own Pass Labs XA-60.8s which are great. However, the #16 is quieter, has overall better dynamics/bottom end control, has a more airy top end, offers more transit speed, and takes the liquidity of the Pass Lab’s mono-blocks to even a higher level. This was heard on many different speakers when I was doing the review.

Never have had the Luxman MA 400 amplifier in-house. When I have heard it in other systems thought it was very refined, smooth, and musical. My hunch is that its a touch warmer then the #16, but not as detailed or dynamic sounding. The #16 is a very detailed amplifier, but never sounds analytical, like some of the highly regarded European amps I have heard and did not care for. Another way to address your question, based on your personal taste and the context of your system’s synergy, would you want the overall tonality of the finest SET 211 or 300b amplifier? Both are great, just different, which do you like better? The #16 is like having a 100 Watt 211 SET amplifier regarding overall tonality and speed, the MA 400 would be like a 300B design.
I previously owned an InnerSound Electrostatic amplifier and loved it. For those who aren’t familiar with this amp, it is essentially a re-badged CODA from around 1999 - 2000. It was a superb amplifier. The only reason I sold it was that the protection circuit of my Quad speakers caused it to instantaneously dump enormous quantities of current into what is essentially a dead short, which damaged the amp.

My question is about the difference between the 8 and the 16 if you are never exceeding the capabilities of the 8? Maybe another way to ask this is, if you are listening within the class A envelope of the 8 (less than 30 watts, right?), would you hear a difference if you replaced it with a 16?
Hey markusthenaimnut,

Even if you do not exceed the class A rating of the #8 you still get an overall higher level of fitness /polish to the overall sonic presentation with the #16 amplifier. It takes the already wonderful level of performance of its less expensive sibling to a more effortless level that just sounds more relaxed and musical. I have reviewed both and that's what I experienced. There are at least two other GON members who started with the #8 and went to the #16 with the same experience.