What country builds the best audio equipment?

I remember not so long ago when audio equipment was mainly a home grown product with the exception of Japan here in the U.S. Today it’s a global market with competition from every corner of the world. I use to think here in the U.S was were the best equipment was being built, but now I’m not sure.
Built quality and performance seems to be lacking a little here in the states with few exceptions compared to what’s being produced over seas and up to the north. So what country is the best equipment coming from? Maybe it’s still the U.S, but if pure aesthetics says anything I would say not.
As for Sonics tough to call, maybe still here in the U.S? 
hiendmmoe
I guess it would have to be Japan with Denmark trailing when it comes to "audio per capita".
Impossible answer, ,Japan great SET Amps ,Switzerland  Dartzeel
Goldman, Denmark several great companies such as Gryphon as well as main driver maker.. Germany. MBL .The USA has greats 
as Pass labs , Audio Research just to name a small % .
that-is  just electronics  China - NOT.
This strikes me as an imbecilic question - with my apologies to the OP. But seriously?
Someone on this thread mentioned Accuphase.  I had a serious stack of that product and totally regret that I sold it to my nephew about 25 years ago.  I replaced it with Adcom.  Good stuff, but not like my Accuphase.  Anyway, there is a lot of great product from so many countries.  It's all about being satisfied with your gear.  I now have Balanced Audio Technology (USA); outstanding build quality and sound quality.  Manley Chinook phono stage; built in Southern California.  What imaging that unit produces.  VPI turntable; also built in USA.  Lyra phono cartridge; designed in USA and built in Japan; the best sounding cartridge I have ever owned.  Upper end Audioquest for signal cables, AC cables, and AC line conditioner; USA product, also designed and built right here in Southern California.  I guess I have a lot of USA product after all.  That's a good thing, but not necessary.  Again, great product comes from many parts of the world.  Everyone, enjoy your gear.  After all, that's why we love it so dearly.