Legacy Whisper XD and Audio Research Amps

Any users of Legacy Whispers with Audio Research amplifiers? I am considering the VS115 with the Whisper XD... the amp needs to drive the mid/top only (above 300Hz) since the bass drivers are self powered. Will this be a good match for a 14*23*10 room?
karsajid
www.avahifi.com get a few double die 550 units, save money better sound, bi amp with the van alstine phase inverters. Audio by VanAlstine will get you better sound for less. I use 4 1200W Hafler P500 rebuilds into VanAlstine Insight double die about 1200W each for a toatl of around 5200W or more, it's a sonic experience, that is incredible, more watts more control, lifelike slam and impact with complete bass control, I use teh Xilica DSP processor from Legacy on my older Whispers, incredible lifelike sound. Get teh Van Alstines, not the over hyped heavily advertised over hyped stuff.
Thanks Dup.
I've read comments about your system on forums. Sounds like you almost have a live concert going on in your room! This is what I want as well. Since I have bought the Whisper XD, which has internal 500W ICE amps for the bass drivers, there is no option to biamp. I can only use my own amplification for the mid and top. What are your thoughts on the Ayon Triton or Coda amps. I hear Legacy uses them at shows with their speakers. If you have been to the shows, can you let me know your thoughts.
I would like to hear from Doug or some one who has used McIntosh 501 mono blocks to power the Whisper XD.

One other thought, if one buys the DSW Whisper, which has no internal power for all of those woofers, it seems that it would take a lot of watts to power these enclosures externally. Would McIntosh 1.2KW mono blocks be enough?

Kent
Kent, I think you may not hear much regarding your specific question about the Whisper and McIntosh 501 amps; there would be precious few people who have that specific arrangement. But one never knows unless asking...

I have found that it is not necessary to have tremendously powerful amps to drive the DSW. I have used one stereo Cambridge Audio Azur 840W on the bass and two Pathos Classic One MkIII tube hybrid integrateds in Stereo mode on the M/T with excellent results. Neither of these amps are "monsters" in terms of power; in fact the Pathos amps are 70wpc powering the M/T! I think the correct word for my reaction to the depth and power of the bass was "stunned". I expected nowhere near the amount of subwoofer-like power and depth from the single Azur amp driving the bass. I'm eager to at some point use the other 840W I have and run them Mono on the bass. THAT would be quite interesting.

Because one can adjust the gain through the processor and the speaker is about 95 dB sensitivity, one can use moderately powered amps and get great results. McIntosh 1.2KW Monos would be serious overkill (But, I like overkill!), much more than enough. Typically a company's amps improve sonically with additional cost and power, so I certainly wouldn't discourage a better offering. It is not necessary, however, to drive the speaker well. If a person has the means to secure the higher end amp they should because the sound quality will be improved. It's not just a question of power; with the Whisper the power issue is less critical than with many other speakers, but the quality of the amp will be clearly revealed.

My experience is that the brand of the amp - its particular voicing - will play into the equation of seeking one's ultimate sound as much as the power of the amp. So, do not assume that mega-power will solve all. Seek an amp which sounds lovely to your ears and as long as it has moderate power the Whisper can make it work (remember, you've got gain adjustment with the processor). Is it conceivable that you may like the sonic attributes of a less powerful amp to drive the Whisper versus a more powerful amp of a different brand? Yes; there is some experimentation involved unless one simply wants to pick a favorite and use the processor (if so desired) to optimize it.