CANTON Vento Reference 3 DC vs. the 3.2 Model

Hello fellow audiophiles,

After a few years away from the scene I have decided to return to our hobby. That being said a few years ago I sold my Salk HT3 and were my favorites speakers. I sold them because my son was going to college and needed some extra funds. So my son graduated two years ago and now I am looking for some speakers.

Right now I am looking at the CANTON Vento Reference 3 DC on sale at Accessories4less for $3800 / pr with free shipping and a free Vendor Reference 50.2 Center channel. Because I only plan to use this for 2 channel only for an office studio that is being constructed I will sell the center speaker unopened. Room is 11 x 18 with 8.5 for ceilings.

Here is my main question? Is there a big difference between the CANTON Vento Reference 3 DC (older model) vs the 3.2 newer model. The sales person told me that there was only a minor difference with that being they changed and upgraded the tweeter. 

Does anyone have any experience between these two models? Is is mere cosmetic or does the newer model produce better sound as well? At this point I am only looking at this speakers and not any others. I listen mostly to jazz and older RnB. 

Thank you,
revrob
revrob
Not having heard them side by side to see if there is any discernible difference, $1600 more is still hard to justify in my mind for what the sales person says is a "minor" change.  Even if they switched to Beryllium tweeters I don't think it would cost that much more..... I'd go with the older model since the change may not even be a change you subjectively like. The only real way to know if the cost difference is worth it is to hear them yourself. 
Thank you. I did purchase the 3 DC for $3500 shipped. I had them for the last 2 weeks and they offer phonemail value. Even though their original price was $16K, then marked down $10K, I decided to take a chance not hearing them before.

My last pair of speakers were the Salk HT3 which I loved but sold all of my gear when my son went off to college 5 years ago. I am now rebuilding my system and I always start with the speakers. 

These are definitely a Reference caliber speaker and something I can live with. I didn't want to have to upgrade in a couple years and I believe these speakers hit all the right buttons for me.

I know these speakers don't get a lot of press in the US and in a way I'm glad because I couldn't afford them at their previous prices.

Thanks.
@revrob I am considering these speakers as well. What is "phonemail value"? What other reference speakers would you compare them to? My only concern is price. Is the price TOO low?!? Only in an audiophilia forum would someone even ask that question. Lol
@zeusodin,

Thanks for the question.This is going to be a long post so I hope you don't mind.  First of all speakers, in my opinion, represents the heart of a true audiophile system. Almost everyone on this forum believes that their current speaker is the best they ever owned until their next set of speakers.

I have had my share of speakers after 40 years in this hobby of our. My two favorites are the Lenehan SR2 bookshelf monitors. The do everything right especially reproducing bass and anything below 45hz. Original cost $4k but I bought them used. I still owned them.

My favorite speaker were a pair of Salk HT3 full range with ribbon tweeters which I owned for 5 years. Overall one of the finest speakers you could own. The Salk Community over at Audiocircle.com is a strong community and Salk has won high praise from the Audio world. I paid $3k used for them and sold them for the same amount 5 years. Great value and hold their price.

Recently my wife and I purchase a new home and I decided to get back into audio. First up was to purchase a new set of speakers. The criteria had to be a full-range speaker, capable of going down to 25hz, play at loud and at soft level. Being able to play anything from Jazz to Classical to Elton John. Needed to convey a sense of realism all while staying under my budget of $4k.

Lastly, for me, unlike other audiophiles, I was looking for my last speaker at least for the next 5 to 10 years like the Salk so resell was not a big concern. You will be surprised how many people won't buy a speaker they really like because of resell value 

So naturally I am thinking used. Maybe another pair of Salk, Vandersteen, Von Schweikert, Focal, Talon, and Dynaudio, to name a few. The problem was going to be able to hear them and then what would the cost to ship large speakers to my home. The shipping would reduce my budget by several hundreds dollars if the speakers weigh as much as I thought.

So I had to rely mostly on review of speakers in magazines and forums such as Audiogon and others. After researching for several months I came across a review of the Canton Reference 3.2 DC Speakers in Stereophile Magazine. Basically they loved the speakers, rated them a Class A, and thought they represented real value and were worth the $16K asking price.

$16k was 4 times my budget but then I found Accessories for less that had them listed for under $6K, shipped and no taxes. So I did more research but there was limited information available. 

So I email the people at A4L and asked about the speakers. They had two models listed, the Reference 3.2 DC at $6k and the Reference 3 DC at $4k. I asked what was the difference beside price and they said the tweeter and that the 3 DC was the older model, Obviously they highly recommend these hand made German Brand speakers. He offered me a deal of $3.5 shipped for the Reference 3 DC shipped and I purchased them.

Before the speakers came I keep hearing in the back of my mind you just spent almost $4k for a speaker you haven't heard, relied on a speaker magazine and what would it cost to send them back if you didn't like them?

Well on day one I was pleasantly surprised by the quality, the build, the finishes. These beast weight 108 pound each. But then the sound hit me and even on Day 1, I knew this was not going back and I had discovered what many audiophiles were looking for in a reference speaker: imagining, soundstage, midrange, the ability to reproduce the sound of a piano, vocals, the ability to go low without a subwoofer. The Canton has all of those qualities. I believe I hit the jackpot even better than my Salks.

Finally, what is the audiophile value on a rating of 1 to 10, for me 9+ maybe even a 10 compared to what I have listen to. For $4k shipped, no taxes, 5 year warranty I personally believe these represent a phenomenal value.

The only con: very limited USA dealership, potential resell value, and the cost of shipping. I believe this things are the reason the price is so low.

In my opinion you won't find a better value for a Reference Audiophile Type of Speaker even used under $6k plus shipping. $16k when Stereophile reviewed them versus $4k to buy them new today. Highly recommended!

Peace,
revrob