Zu Soul Superfly

I just ordered a pair of the new Zu speakers on a whim. I was going to wait for information, but the fact that they threw in the free superfly upgrades to the first 30 people got me.

From a similar thread it sounds like some of you guys have heard the speaker despite information only being released today. I'm wondering what you can share about it?

Also, I am really hoping it works with a Firstwatt F1 amplifier. Can anyone comment as to that? I know the Druid's and Essences worked OK.
gopher
Gopher: I did not like sound of druid on spikes in carpet. My room eats enough bass as it is, this made things much worse. I did not get the "more planted" sound that Phil refers to, my bass was just even more eaten.

I also cannot tell you what wood planks I put them on. I cannot say if it was seasoned maple, norweigen birch ply, or high-quality MDF held together by glue made from thoroughbread stallions and the prayers of buddhist monks. It was just planks for hard wood I had lying around and I use it. Another benefit of the wood was that it made moving the speakers very easy, something that is quite hard with big spikes.

If I try this again in the future, I am interested to see what an even denser material like stone might do over wood. I think it is density of material that may be having effect, not "firmsness of planting". What is driving my thought here is how speaker sounds different put on slab floor instead of raised floor with cavity underneath.

And good job finding right position for supertweeter. This made big difference for me as well, and as you see, it makes you rethink what else you need to change in your playbacks!

Mike_cole: I mostly listen at lower volumes, sadly. I would like to play loud more often. They do very well at low and high volume, if you have sufficient watts.
Phil or anyone else who might know: What is the appropriate height for the Superflys? I first tried the lowest setting that allowed me to lock the spikes in place with nuts, but it was too high and sounded a little funny.

I'm now using it at about CD case height without the nuts and its sounding more balanced and resolved than on the hard floor mounts, but the spikes are not as rigid as they aren't locked. It might also be just a touch harder in the midrange, but I also swapped in a new IC that needs burn in.
I've continued to tweak and have re-achieved something special. I'm operating at just about a CD case over denser (as opposed to plush) carpeting.

The hardness is gone from the mids and things are a hair more coherent in this range. The big change, as expected, is on the low end. Bass punch and definition is a lot greater now. Well integrated, impactful bass--daddy likes.
I've found battery gear to be dull, boring. Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of low power and have the off-grid bug in me. That said there is something missing in the less than 3k components I've heard including RWA paired with Devore Super 8's. I listened less.

Just wanted to mention that.
>> I did not get the "more planted" sound that Phil refers to, my bass was just even more eaten.<<

Right, you won't. Druid and Soul are different. Soul has tall spikes and the finger vents in the bottom are insensitive to floor gap, unlike Druid. Druid on spikes in carpet -- takes some real attention to get right. Soul on its spikes on carpet -- simple.

Phil