Why not horns?

I've owned a lot of speakers over the years but I have never experienced anything like the midrange reproduction from my horns. With a frequency response of 300 Hz. up to 14 Khz. from a single distortionless driver, it seems like a no-brainer that everyone would want this performance. Why don't you use horns?
macrojack
Vernneal - All of those points you mention could effect one's decision about whether or not he wants (or can have) horns. But you left out relativity. How big of a speaker is too big or how costly is too expensive, will be different for everyone. Here are some facts about my system, which works well in my space. Individual readers can then compare my circumstances against theirs and determine via real facts whether or not horns could work for them. Bear in mind that smaller and cheaper horn options are available. Mine are just one example that I know well.

In order:

Size: Woofer boxes have a footprint of 24 inches wide by 21 inches deep. Horns are mounted on top of woofers for a total height of 51 inches.

Ugly: Completely and utterly arbitrary - varies with appearance and taste.

Room size: My room is 15 feet wide (system wall) by 22 feet long. The ceiling slopes from 10 feet at the left wall to 8 feet on the right wall.
Listening distance is about 12 feet from from drivers.

Costly: I bi-amp. My horns, compression drivers, woofers, cabinets, power amps and DBX drive Rack PA all taken together cost me less than $5000. That is chump change to many audiophiles and a ridiculous amount of money to others.

I live in a 1400 sq. ft. ranch house with an advantageous floor plan. My system doubles as a 2 channel home theater with a 50 inch plasma hanging on the wall behind my components.

I added the last few facts just to add emphasis to the affordability of the horn option.
I have heard of ALE. Though $76k for a pair of drivers is a bit over my budget. And those aren't as high bandwidth. The Faital drivers (got my second one today) sound great down to about 350hz with a 48dB XO filter. I don't think there are any CHDs on the market that go this low with as flat a response. Sounds fantastic. Though it's showing me how much of a bad link my 18" drivers are.

I'm debating about building an open baffle bass set up, but putting the open baffle in the corners of the room... that effectively turns the entire room into a bass horn. Might be interesting to try at some point.
Verneal, I think your comments are stuck in a groove.
My horns do not appear to be much larger in footprint than your Thiels.
:-) Yeah, I think the ALEs are beyond most everyone's budget. Interesting that you run the Faital that low.