Classical Music for Aficionados

I would like to start a thread, similar to Orpheus’ jazz site, for lovers of classical music.
I will list some of my favorite recordings, CDs as well as LP’s. While good sound is not a prime requisite, it will be a consideration.
  Classical music lovers please feel free to add to my lists.
Discussion of musical and recording issues will be welcome.

I’ll start with a list of CDs.  Records to follow in a later post.

Berlioz: Symphonie Fantastique.  Chesky  — Royal Phil. Orch.  Freccia, conductor.
Mahler:  Des Knaben Wunderhorn.  Vanguard Classics — Vienna Festival Orch. Prohaska, conductor.
Prokofiev:  Scythian Suite et. al.  DG  — Chicago Symphony  Abbado, conductor.
Brahms: Symphony #1.  Chesky — London Symph. Orch.  Horenstein, conductor.
Stravinsky: L’Histoire du Soldat. HDTT — Ars Nova.  Mandell, conductor.
Rachmaninoff: Symphonic Dances. Analogue Productions. — Dallas Symph Orch. Johanos, cond.
Respighi: Roman Festivals et. al. Chesky — Royal Phil. Orch. Freccia, conductor.

All of the above happen to be great sounding recordings, but, as I said, sonics is not a prerequisite.

128x128rvpiano
Volodos is, to my mind, the most impressive technically of pianists today, the modern day Horowitz. Others may be impressive, but he combines absolute mastery of the keyboard with great taste.  Lately, he’s eschewed the virtuoso fare and demonstrated he’s also a very probing musician.  The Brahms disc is beautifully rendered.
Pletnev is also one of my favorite current day keyboard masters.
I would agree with rvpiano on Trifonov. He is a huge talent, I have worked with him before. It was a few years ago at least that he played with my orchestra. I am not as familiar with his recordings, but the one or two I have  heard confirm that impression. I think he will grow up, though. Let us hope so.  Too many competition winners don't. 

@jim204 I listened to disc 2 last night and liked it even more than 1.  I found the playing meditative--perhaps matching my mood.  I also think the recorded piano sound is superlative, at least I was really liking what I heard on my system.

Also, does this new recording outdo one of my desert-island-discs, the Radu Lupu recording of late Brahms?  Hard to imagine that it could.

RV i have seen Pletnev live quite a few times the latest being in The Queen's Hall in Edinburgh a couple of years ago. An all Rachmaninov program and it was wonderfull. I think that pianists who graduate from the piano to the podium learn such an awful lot musically, just think of Pletnev, Ashkenazy and Barenboim to name but three and you have the cream of the crop. I'm afraid that some pianists go off because they can't juggle the two careers but the three I've mentioned have really broadened out as musicians especially Barenboim who just gets better year on year. I agree on the comment RV made about Volodos his technical displays are beyond belief and it is so nice to see he really can play non virtuoso fare as only Horowitz in his day could ( Just think of Kinderzenen, just magical). Let's just hope the Trifonovs, Kolestnikovs, Levits and Sudbins are allowed to mature at their own pace and we shall have some glorious players of the future.