Magnepan Owners

Hi - Have any of you ever changed out the standard nickel Midrange or Tweeter jumpers on your Maggie’s with something else. Or have you replaced or bypassed the tweeter/midrange fuses? The reason I’m asking is that I read a review on Absolute Sound where the reviewer did, well at least the jumpers. After looking on the internet I came across a site called Verastarr and they offer a Magnepan kit which includes jumpers and a fuse replacement. The jumpers are Cryo treated 10AWG Silver plated copper in PTFE dielectric. The fuse is replaced with a polished 99.7 pure solid silver hollow tube. I understand the warranty risk with the fuse but wanted to see if anyone has ever tried the above. Supposedly this tweak takes the Maggie’s to another level of performance. I purchased the kit on Audiogon but will most likely just use the jumpers. Please let me know if you have any experience with either.

Cheers
bluesy41

@polarin, go to the Planar Speaker Asylum Forum, go into the Magnepan section, and do a thread search for modifications. There are detailed discussions of what members have done to their Maggies, with pics.

Disconnecting the fuse holder and installing Cardas binding posts is very simple, easy, and completely reversible. The Cardas posts fit right in the holes the Magnepan ones are in, no modifications necessary. The wires going to the rear of the stock connectors have "O" rings on the ends, so there in no soldering involved---the O rings are just slid off the old, and onto the new. Couldn't be easier.

Likewise, the fuse block requires no cutting or soldering of wires. They just get disconnected, removed from the signal path. Boom, done. Reinstall the plate, connect your speaker cables, and enjoy the new, improved sound quality!

Mike I received the upgrade today and wow I’m truly amazed how they really opened up my Maggie’s. I’m definitely will be sharing this with all my Maggie owners. 

Cheers 
Just received my kit from Mike Powell this afternoon for my 1.7i’s. (Ribbon cables + fuse/jumper). The whole megillah. 

Earlier on I purchased a pair of Magna Risers from this site which included a pair of jumper replacements as well so, as of yet, I haven’t replaced those. I should get around to it this weekend with more extended listening. 

Here’s to improving an already great loudspeaker!
Hey guys, there is a reason its called an "instant" upgrade. Because it takes no longer than 5 minutes to do both speakers and they don’t need to be moved an inch. Thats the whole idea behind the kit nothing more. Never in the history of Magnepan has there been something this quick and this effective. Not even close.
For me, I’ll pull out some tools and strip a maggie to its bones, pull the tweeter and mid and throw the rest away. Why stop at steel fuse clips ? The crossover is junky, there is no frame to speak of and the baffle is horrible, not to mention the 3 layers of fabric over your drivers... so you will not go farther down the Rabbit Hole with Maggie than I will, But instead of expecting everyone to jump on the crazy boat with me, I recognize those that wish to join the mod fun, but do not have experience with electronics or even hand tools for that matter. I make the mod that everybody can play with and still reap a strong beneficial result. So go ahead and knock the $40 kit for being expensive...lol. There is not one recipient of this kit that did not appreciate how simple and effective it was..