Magnepan Owners

Hi - Have any of you ever changed out the standard nickel Midrange or Tweeter jumpers on your Maggie’s with something else. Or have you replaced or bypassed the tweeter/midrange fuses? The reason I’m asking is that I read a review on Absolute Sound where the reviewer did, well at least the jumpers. After looking on the internet I came across a site called Verastarr and they offer a Magnepan kit which includes jumpers and a fuse replacement. The jumpers are Cryo treated 10AWG Silver plated copper in PTFE dielectric. The fuse is replaced with a polished 99.7 pure solid silver hollow tube. I understand the warranty risk with the fuse but wanted to see if anyone has ever tried the above. Supposedly this tweak takes the Maggie’s to another level of performance. I purchased the kit on Audiogon but will most likely just use the jumpers. Please let me know if you have any experience with either.

Cheers
bluesy41
Dont be nervous unless your amp is underpowered meaning low CURRENT not wattage, or if you do silly things like change out RCA with amps on.. I’m sending a kit to a 30 year Magnepan dealer who told me never ONCE has he seen a blown fuse. Many people just bought these kits and I asked them to post results here.

@Itsky, there are no options, you remove protection for dummy mistakes. These fuses hurt the sound more than they are needed for anything.

Heavy handed ? lol, that does not blow fuses. To prove this I’m playing my 3.7i at around 100Db and taking a video. I posted it to youtube. It is not power that hurts any speaker, its distortion. If my kit broke speakers I would stop selling it. I do this to help maggie owners get the most out of their Maggie’s. I am a staunch Maggie lover. I get kidded by peers for having cheap speakers. What Ive got is smart speakers. They sound World Class at a fraction of the cost. Maggies sound horrible with fuses in, they are even bad to me with factory crossover. Not even close to balanced if you run a speaker response test. I like accuracy not flavoring, so perhaps I should state these maggie mods are in the pursuit of an accurate reference loudspeaker rather than a fun to listen to because of what its doung loudspeaker which theres a place for as well.
Heavy handed ? lol, that does not blow fuses. To prove this I’m playing my 3.7i at around 100Db and taking a video. I posted it to youtube. It is not power that hurts any speaker, its distortion.
I assumed we were talking about stock factory Magnepans?  The link you posted to above, show speakers that are very far from "factory stock".  Who knows what perimeters have been changed with all of your modifications?

Also, why spend the money on this "kit", when you can pull off the back plate and easily rewire the connectors to bypass the holders.  This can be reversed if/when you need to.  It creates a much shorter and better path than using jumpers and special fuses.

So if your talking about better fidelity, (which you are), then there are cheaper and better sounding options.

If any members are in Northern Colorado, I would be more than happy to perform this tweek for free, just get a hold of me.
Bypassing the fuses interests me, has anyone who has done this (including adding the Cardas binding posts) mod have video instructions that could walk someone thru this?  I'm electronically challenged at best and wouldn't want to do more harm than good, thanks.

@polarin, go to the Planar Speaker Asylum Forum, go into the Magnepan section, and do a thread search for modifications. There are detailed discussions of what members have done to their Maggies, with pics.

Disconnecting the fuse holder and installing Cardas binding posts is very simple, easy, and completely reversible. The Cardas posts fit right in the holes the Magnepan ones are in, no modifications necessary. The wires going to the rear of the stock connectors have "O" rings on the ends, so there in no soldering involved---the O rings are just slid off the old, and onto the new. Couldn't be easier.

Likewise, the fuse block requires no cutting or soldering of wires. They just get disconnected, removed from the signal path. Boom, done. Reinstall the plate, connect your speaker cables, and enjoy the new, improved sound quality!

Mike I received the upgrade today and wow I’m truly amazed how they really opened up my Maggie’s. I’m definitely will be sharing this with all my Maggie owners. 

Cheers