Vandie .7 vs Maggie .7

*** I tried to edit the TITLE.,,Sorry   I mean Vandie 1ci    Thanks

Hello to all! I am hoping I will get some opinions on these 2 speakers. I’m 65...a Pro musician with a degree in music. I’ve own of equipment for sure. Nothing in the Mega buck range. I did own a par of Maggie III’s 25 years ago. Vandersteen’s are really a brand I have never owned or stopped at a dealer or known someone who owned them.

I know opinions are GOING to vary. These are kinda 2 different speakers...but a similar approach. Maggie flat panel, and Vandie "no baffe.

I have an NAD 326BEE integrated amp..( very decent)....I’m about to spring for a Schiit Vidar. I have an MF V90,,Schiit Saga... I own Whafdale Diamond 240’s.

I was also set to pop for the Vidar and got into a discussion with someone at Schiit, and he generally said, looking at speakers/ headphones are usually a bigger change. So started my re-evaluation.

These are the 2 I am down too. I have 1400-1500 to spend. True-ness of timbre, soundstage are most important ot me ...because I have listened and played live music since I was 15.

I do very much appreciate your opinions. I want member to BE subjective and give me your take based on personal experience. Thank you very much, Otto

128x128ottoa63
@tomic601

Being that I had to set the treble attenuator 1.5db down to achieve my preferred tonal balance with the 1Cis, I’m doubtful the VLRs would work for me. They don't include the trim pot. Also, I noticed upper midrange sibilance in the 1Cis, even after break-in, and fear the VLRs might have the same issue. Otherwise, they’re a very attractive design.
Tough call here, Vandy's are great all rounders that do a lot well and aren't typically fussy. Maggie's on the other hand are current hungry, need breathing room and (In my opinion) need some additional mod's to really hear what they are capable of. That said, if Jazz and female vocals are your passion then I must say Maggie's when set up properly can be downright sublime. Another option might be MMG's with a small "sealed enclosure" sub, this would give you the Maggie magic and make low level listening more enjoyable.  On the other hand if you just want to add some very fine speakers that will sound good with just about anything you throw at them go with the Vandy's. Tough call you've got but I'd say it's more about how hard you want to work and fuss with your system to get the sound you are after, keep us posted and by all means go and listen to them both.
2nd call out for John Rutan (Audio Connection). If he has both, thats the way to figure it out, along with the vo,umes of system balancing input you;ve received
3rd call out for John Rutan at Audio Connection.

They're both good choices.  The 2 is even better, if you can get a recent-ish used pair. (I honestly prefer it to the 3, while acknowledging the latter is less colored) I love the dipole presentation, but you'll need more amp for the .7s.