$3,000 Planar Speakers

Someone posted a recommendation a month or so ago here regarding a planar speaker
that sells for approx $3-4k. I searched this forum but could not find it.

It was not a Magnepan

Please post that speaker again.  
128x128mitch4t
Apogee’s require an amp with some serious current delivery, and the ability to drive a 1 ohm load.

Only early models like the Scintilla were serious 1 ohm loads. Later ones tended to be more like  manageable 3 or so.

I wouldn't try to pair th with a tube amp, but many SS amps will drive them well.
I sold my Martin Logan Prodigies for $3500 which seems to be the going rate. They are truly outstanding and list around $10,000 in the early 2000s. Now I have completely restored MGIIIas which are worth less than $1000 but sound great and are good enough for me right now. I think I'll keep these as my forever speakers.
Good Luck
I've heard the ET extensively and like it a lot.  At one time I was considering a purchase and spent a fair bit of time in front of a pair.  In the end, I preferred small Maggies with a pair of Rythmik subwoofers.  If you get the xover nailed (I cross digitally with Audyssey), I think the latter offers somewhat better overall performance over a wider bandwidth than the ET at substantially similar cost
martykl:
Which small Maggies and which Rythmik subs did you settle on?

I have a similar combination--Magnepan 1.7s and a pair of Mirage MM8 subs (discontinued for some time now). Nov. 16 marked the 4th anniversary of bringing my Maggies home. I'm still amazed daily at how musical and involving they sound on any kind of music.

The little Mirage subs have a pretty comprehensive set of analog controls for blending--continuous volume, crossover frequencies from 40 Hz to open, and continuous phase control from 0 to 360 deg.

For me, the phase control proved to successfully dial in a seamless transition between the panels and the subs. Finding the sweet spot (160 deg.) eliminated  a room resonance around 150-200 Hz, and now the subs and panels play as one.