speaker recommendation

Looking for suggestions on speakers:  

Equipment: McIntosh c2300, mc275, Yamaha receiver that will be replaced soon

Room size: 12x10 but hopefully soon be around 20x18

Music: Across the board, jazz, rock,  alt.

Budget: under 4,0000

Also can my mc275 handle 4 ohm speakers?

Thanks

nate5968
You would be hard pressed to find a better speaker than an ATC SCM 19 they are compact but good sized monitors.

The amazing thing about the ATC is that they have exactly what a rock or jazz guy craves they sound emotional and dynamic. The midbass is so tight and driving, the sound stage is huge and the top end is very natural. 

My only concern is the Mac stuff tends to sound a bit muddy.

The nice thing with the ATC is they play loud and can work in any size room for a larger room just add a good sub and you are good to go.

We are ATC dealers and love how real music sounds on ATC.

Dave owner
Audio Doctor NJ
I also use a MC275 Mk VI in a modest size room (14.5' x 17.5') and have broad taste in music. Speakers are 40 year old Gale GS401As, you can see and learn about them here:

http://www.vintagegale.com

Not only does this system sound spectacular, it also looks it. See my previous post on this system. For the money I really think I have reached audio Nirvana. The best part is; a fully restored, look and sound like new, pair of Gale GS401A speakers, and matching stands cost, about $1,500 delivered! Furthermore, David Smith at Vintage Gale is a great guy to work with.
Check out the Wavetouch Anteros. $2800 and 40 day money back guarantee. I've had mine for 2 weeks and I can honestly say they are the best speakers I've ever owned. Speakers are so system and room dependent you just can't beat trying before buying. I'm keeping the Anteros.