How do we remember 1970s amplifiers?

I would be curious to hear some of the memories and impressions associated with the following short list of 1970s amplifiers:

- McIntosh "first generation" SS amps, MC2105, MC2505, MC2300, MC250, MC2100
- Dynaco Stereo 400 and Stereo 120
- Phase Linear 400 and 700
- Bang & Olufsen "slide rule" receivers (i.e. especially blackface Beomaster 4000)
- Original Ampzilla (not Son of Ampzilla)

I've chosen this list mainly because they cover a wide range of approaches to solving the issues of early semiconductor technology, and they were all pretty mainstream products in the U.S. I'm excluding the Japanese receivers/amps not out of predjudice; it's simply that the circuit designs varied quite a bit with each model, and thus harder to broadly classify their characteristics.

I'm interested in impressions of both sonic and non-sonic attributes, and a preferred ranking of the above, if you like.
kirkus
I know it sounds crazy, but the PL700 I recently purchased out of curiosity (original series, w/factory-recommended mods done in the late ’80’s), fed directly from my Sony DVP-S9000ES SACD and running my Dunlavy IV’s, just wipes the floor with my Threshold S500 S2. PRAT is off the charts; it makes the Threshold sound dull and lifeless in comparison. I’m hearing subtle details in the music that the Threshold doesn’t reveal. Dead quiet amp. No sibilance or harshness, even at high volumes. This amp just makes beautiful music.

Bettered my VTL ST-125 as well. Very similar to my VTL TT-25’s in the mids and highs (and that’s high praise indeed).

I wonder how many people who go around poo-pooing these amps in some of the PL threads have even heard one in a decent system in the last forty years?

And FWIW, I’m a semi-professional trombonist, not some hack with wooden ears...
I had a  Rotel 1412 integrated that could be used as a pre or power amp. Sounded great with JBL monitors.

chuxhifi,

Doesn't surprise me. A friend ran two D-500's bi-amping a pair of the original AR-9's.  Sounded amazing. I could easily live with my old Phase Linear gear.  Enjoy the 700.  It's a wonderful little amp.

The damping factor on the 700 is 1000.  Your woofers love that type of control.  

N.

Kirkus - truly great thread here.  Enjoying reading all about this 70's gear.  This was a little before my time getting into high end.  Back in the 70's, I was still with my HK 330c receiver not getting into separates until in the mid 80's.

Actually an interesting neighbor let me hold onto his Dyna MKII amp, Mac C22 pre, MR71 tuner, and Thorens TD124 TT w/SME tonearm in the late 70's.  Not knowing a thing about tubes back then, I turned it on and wondered why it didn't come on immediately and why it sounded so terrible after 5-10 seconds and ran so hot.  I gave my girlfriend the TT and she said, "what is this POS?"  If only we knew......

Wish they had a long discussion like this about 1980's gear.  That is my go to era in audio and when I made lots of purchases......