Best speaker choice under $1000?

I'm looking to audition some new speakers, either floorstanding or bookshelf. I listen to mostly pop, dance, r&b, little hip hop.

I prefer a speaker with excellent sound stage, transparency and detail. Which speakers should I consider auditioning? (They will be paired with a Marantz receiver).
bello
Given your music preferences I'd look for a used pair of Monitor Audio RS6 or RX6. They're very detailed and transparent and will provide more of the bass that your music typically has and that most monitors can't produce adequately. A used pair of Silverline Preludes might work too. Best of luck.
I agree with Soix's recommendation of Monitor Audio. Their silver series is a great all around speaker. I used to have a pair myself. They do an excellent job with making a metal tweeter listenable; especially at the price point. Compared to my recommendation of the Vandersteen Model 1 I mention above, the Monitors are more forgiving but they are a traditional box speaker so you will hear some of the colorations that are associated with that type of design. That said, anything in that price range will have some type of limitations. Both are excellent choices, though. Also, they will work with your receiver.

Manoterror recommends the Mirage OMD-15. I haven't heard that model myself but I do think it is definitely worth a listen. I actually demoed my Monitor Audio's next to a different Mirage that was then current. I liked the MA better but it was pretty close. I almost bought them.
I always recommend powered studio monitors in preference to audiophile speakers - I'd argue they:

are better value
sound better (more accurate which pros demand, for example since they are powered the amplifier frequency responses can be tailored to take into account manufacturing discrepancies in the drivers in order to be better matched)
are more reliable (they are designed to be used all day every day and include protection circuits, etc)
play louder (bi-amped)
include the amps

Some brands to look at (check out Ebay) - Mackie, Genelec, Equator Audio and too many others to mention.

These are "pro" items and thus are relatively utilitarian in appearance (no wood or fake wood, no grilles), but that is a matter of taste. You can use them with a receiver, but you can also just plug them into your computer or music player since the power amps are built into the speakers and ditch the receiver.