Synergistic Red Fuse ...

I installed a SR RED Quantum fuse in my ARC REF-3 preamp a few days ago, replacing an older high end fuse. Uhh ... for a hundred bucks, this little baby is well worth the cost. There was an immediate improvement upon installation, but now that its broken in (yes, no kidding), its quite remarkable. A tightening of the focus, a more solid image, and most important of all for my tastes, a deeper appreciation for the organic sound of the instruments. Damn! ... cellos sound great! Much improved attack on pianos. More humanistic on vocals. Bowed bass goes down forever. Next move? .... I'm doing the entire system with these fuses. One at a time though just to gauge the improvement in each piece of equipment. The REF-75se comes next. I'll report the results as the progression takes place. Stay tuned ...

Any comments from anyone else who has tried these fuses?
128x128oregonpapa
Bingo! We have a match! Mopman and Georgelobrow. Trolls extraordinaire, the Frick & Frack of Mid Fi. But seriously folks, isn't all this anger, name calling and angst simply a symptom of just how wide the gap is between the Mid Fi and High End communities?
Post removed 
Almarg    1/20/17

It now appears that Wolf_Garcia, Mapman and Almarg have emerged as the leading spokesmen for the flat earth society. I have taken it upon myself to respond to to the 5 points raised by almarg.

Points 1 & 2. " I don't doubt that fuses can make a difference in many applications even though measured data that has been presented to support the existence of those differences is not supportive of their existence"

It is very difficult to respond rationally to to this type of convoluted nonsense. The only way to determine whether a fuse make a difference is to listen to it. No "measured data" can make this determination. This is why final evaluation of high quality audio products has to pass a listening test before approved for sale. The truth is that all fuses make a difference. The only question is whether the resolution of the playback system is is good enough to allow the difference to be heard. Not all playback systems have the benefits of tuned acoustics, absence from vibrations, optimized loudspeaker placement, good grounding etc

Point 3. " I have expressed bafflement at how any particular fuse, such as the synergistic black, can provide the benefits it has reported to provide with the high degree of consistency that has been reported, among components that are completely different in design, that perform completely different functions, that are used in very different systems, that are powered by AC having very different voltage and noise characteristics, and in DC as well as AC applications"

Almarg's bafflement is based on a false premise. It is not the use that is doing all the things he is baffled by. It is THE POWER SUPPLY that is reponsible for the improvements. The fuse allow the power supply to perform more effectively and this, not the fuse, is responsible for the improved performance.

Point 4. " I have contended that it is impossible for a fuse to have inherent directional characteristics. And I have said that even if a fuse did have inherent directional characteristics, the vastly longer associated wiring would, as well and the directional effects of that wiring would swamp those of the fuse."

As Bill Clinton has pointed out " It depends on what "directional is." I replaced 10 fuses in my system and after replacing the final fuse noted a fall-off in performance. I reversed the physical direction of the fuse and and optimum performance was restored. I DID NOT CONCLUDE THAT THE FUSE ITSELF IS INHERENTLY DIRECTIONAL. It is my belief that when a genuine audiophile say a fuse is "directional" this is what they are referring to. They are not saying that the fuse is inherently  directional.

Point 5: " I have pointed out in this and other threads  that in audio it is often easy to attribute a perceived sonic effect to the wrong variable. And that the methodology with which an evaluation is performed needs to be especially thorough in the case of tweaks that are unexplainable and/or seemingly implausible, to rule out the possibility that  unrecognized variables are responsible.

This of course is a " Hail Mary " pass by a desperate Quarter Back in the closing stages of a losing battle. Does any one on this forum really believe that Oregonpapa (The OP of this thread ) is delusional. Can all the many positive reviews of the Synergistic Research fuses on this thread, and in other forums, explained away by saying they are being misled by "perceived effects of the wrong variable?

I have said it before and I will say it again. Please review the synergistic black fuse and post your review on this thread. And if you do a review you should equip your system with a full complement of fuses. Don't do what Mapman did. He put in a single fuse. This is like like replacing one tyre on a car and reporting that you observed no change. One tyre is only part of the system of tyres.
Nyame
"As Bill Clinton has pointed out " It depends on what "directional is." I replaced 10 fuses in my system and after replacing the final fuse noted a fall-off in performance. I reversed the physical direction of the fuse and and optimum performance was restored. I DID NOT CONCLUDE THAT THE FUSE ITSELF IS INHERENTLY DIRECTIONAL. It is my belief that when a genuine audiophile say a fuse is "directional" this is what they are referring to. They are not saying that the fuse is inherently directional."

Uh, come again. What are you attributing the restoration of the sound to if not the inherent directionality of the fuse itself?

I reported on a thorough test I did of SR fuses a while back, in which I concluded that they did nothing to enhance the sound of my well sorted system, and in fact a couple of them blew as they don't seem to be rated properly. My conclusion was simply that they are a fraudulent and dangerous product to be utterly avoided. The fact that no reasonable explanation from the manufacturers of these things as to why they have any effect on the tonality of audio gear has never been offered is not unexpected, but has been surprisingly ignored by people claiming benefits from the use of these things.