Reel to Reel tape decks

Reel to reel tape decks; I recall going with my wife, in the early 70's, in search for a new washer and dryer. This was when "Tipton", a major appliance store sold everything, including reel to reel tape decks. They were just flat out beautiful; I could picture one in my luxurious listen room done up in mahogany; tables, chairs, woodwork, everything. (in my dreams)

http://www.theverge.com/2015/10/5/9409563/reel-to-reel-tape-retro-audio-trend

As a matter of fact, there was a Pioneer deck just like the one you see pictured on this link, at that time; presently I have a Technics 2track RS 1500.

I noticed they mentioned a Teac X-2000R. Sorry folks, I don't recommend that one. I bought mine new, and it lasted for a good while, but it was not repair friendly. Even if you get a new deck, it has to be repair friendly; it's not like the old days when you could find a tech to put your specs back in harmony.

I also owned an Akai; it took months to get parts when it was new. How long do you think it would take now?

Technics people were a dream to work with; after I bought my used reel, I called them for new parts, no problem; I bought everything I could replace, that's why mine is still up to snuff. Plus it's repair friendly; I worked on mine a time or two. I'm a tech, not specifically a reel tech, but I do have the repair manual.

Inna, you evidently did your homework; I wouldn't consider anything other than a 2 track, Otari, or Technics like the one in the picture, and Studer with out a doubt, but if you can not get it repaired don't buy it, what ever it is.

That Tascam sure looks pretty; I would buy it new, if the price was right. That $200, pre recorded tape is no good if your machine is not 100% up to specs.

You can record, and playback on your own machine, and get results that are 100% good, but you're taking a chance when you get outside tape that's prerecorded.

For sure, a reel to reel can top any turntable; good luck, have fun; and as I always say;

Enjoy the music.

orpheus10

I thought this was very interesting for guys like us who really like reel to reel. There is a reel to reel museum in Texas; I didn't know they had anything in Texas beside the biggest rattlesnakes you ever saw. (ha ha)

This link brings back a lot of memories for those who became acquainted with many different decks in years past.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOyYsg7fcvE

Happy listening.
I've never had a problem with parts when restoring any machine.  That includes SONY, Otari,Pioneer, TEAC,Studer or Akai.  I didn't even have problems restoring my Crown 822.  It resides in Vietnam now.  Wish I'd kept that one.

I love em all.  If you have one tune it up. Simply amazing listening experience. 

Norman

Norman, I recall a beautiful 10 inch Crown, that was on display at the store I went to in the beginning. That was when most of the reels were the 7 inch kind; my first reel was a small Akai.

Here's a big Crown that reminds me of the one that was on display. BTW, I just discovered that a 2 track will correct some room anomalies; the playback from the head is so forceful, that it corrects a left right imbalance caused by room acoustics. I get a perfect sound stage on playback from the reel with the same CD that gets a heavy to the right imbalance.

I spent years trying to find the cause of that problem, until I finally decided it was the room, because everything else that could cause that problem checked out good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49rGrX4EO5g

Happy listening.
There are 2 manufacturers of new R2R tape - ATR and RMG/Pyral (now known as Recording the Masters RTM). A new US tape made by Capture has been mooted as well.

Essentially, the ATR tapes are similar to the old Ampex and Quantegy, whilst the RTM are the old Agfa PEM468, BASF SM911 and SM900 tape formulations (with long play variants LPR35 and LPR90 respectively for the SM911 and 900). I use the RTM tapes all the time (LPR35, SM911 and SM900); I have not had any SSS problems and the quality has been excellent.

If you are in the US, you may find that ATR is cheaper. However, I have heard reports of occasional SSS, although I have not experienced this myself.

Topoxforddoc, thank you very much for that information. Since I started this thread, I've been listening exclusively to the reel, and enjoying the music more everyday.

"Nina Simone" sounds so much more "Simonish"; she's in a class all by herself, and she can also play the piano.

No matter who the artist is, you get so much more involved when you hear them from the reel. I quit trying to distinguish whether or not I'm listening to LP or CD because I can't tell the difference; my LP's get so little play, because I record them on PC or reel, that they have almost no record noise, and when you think about it, CD's are now "analog".

We "music lovers" always need something to put new life in our hobby, and this is it.

Enjoy the music.