comcast upgrade

hi guys
this week comcast did an upgrade in our area.to me it was an downgrade.
first thing that happen was my box would not keep 1080 or 720 on the hd stations when the tv was shut down,it woud revert back to 480.after 4hrs with 5 different so called tech people,they decided i needed a new box.
with the new upgrade there is no way to get into the settings to install the pass through which reads resolution the station is transmitting and the box picks up and changes to 1080 or 720.on the hd channels it stays on 1080 now.
ok i can live with that but my big issue is that you now can`t change the setting on the audio to 2channel and disengage dolby 5.1.i run a optical from the cable box into my cary sacd player for audio on movies.my system is not compatable for dolby.
anyone else running into this dilemma
thanks
Al
alpass
I have a different cable company that does these upgrades. Then a lot of new bugs until they learn about it. When that happens, it's time for more upgrades. They are good at billing us for them though. And yesterday, I saw their trucks all over doing something, and I'm guessing more upgrades. LOL.
i have to tell you what Einstiens they have as techs.the 1st person i talked to when it was switching back to 480,said just use the zoom button to fill the screen.
I had simlar issues with Comcast , not as bad , its default was 720p , anyway you dont need a new box, what you need is comcast to send out software patches . may take 3 or 4 weeks but they will get them resolved . And forget about talking to Sales reps on the phone , there is some secret wizard behind a curtain that will fix it.

They dont want people who dont know whats going on like Grandma saying when I go to Mrs Winkles house her dish network HD colors pops off the screen and my Comcast looks like crap. They will fix it , because the have an economic reason to do so.
So was teh upgrade to enable 1080 ppi?

I've noticed my Comcast HD appears to be 720 ppi.

What is required for 1080 exactly?

I'm not a big TV guy so it has not been a big issue for me but my tv can do 1080 so if I am entitled to that I would want to get it.
I love to hate Comcast. Generally I have them over at least twice a month to fix a problem, but they never get in to actually do anything. Why? Well it is about booties. Yes, booties, which they never bring, as they advertise they always bring. So, I get a $20 credit. Another visit is scheduled, and again no booties, so another $20 credit. These people never learn. Still waiting for them to implement PIP, promised five years ago.