Why a digital media player instead of a dedicated computer?

I’ve been trying for some time now to better understand the value of adding a digital media player to one’s system. This is of interest to me because I listen to music entirely from high-resolution digital files. I keep reading glowing reviews of digital players like the Bryston BDP-2 but I must be missing something, because if you have a computer and a good piece of software I fail to see what the media player adds to the equation. But if there is some kind of advantage to be had, I’d like to know!

I currently store all my high-resolution music files on an external hard drive, which I then connect to a dedicated Macbook Pro running Audirvana Plus. The Macbook outputs the files to an external DAC via USB, then on to my preamp and the rest of my system. I’ve been very satisfied with this arrangement, and it can handle almost any type of file I throw at it, from 16/44.4 to DSD 5.6.

Other than being able to control the playback wirelessly, what would be the advantages, if any, of using a digital media player instead of a dedicated laptop? Is there any sonic improvement to be had over my current arrangement? Or is this simply a matter of convenience and not having to tie up a computer in my music system?

Thanks!
zm
Thanks for your helpful responses, all.  Doesn't seem like a digital media player is anywhere in my future!
I have used a Logitech Duet then the Touch, and recently pulled a HP Xeon computer out of the trash!  The benefits of condo living!
I put Daphile on USB memory stick and put a 1TB drive in it with my music.  It sounds much better than my Touch. Now  I don't know if this is do to the parts in this computer, since it was a $2k computer 4 years ago or because it is set up right next to my Dac.  The Touch was also next to my dac but was connected to my computer with a 50 foot Ethernet cable.  If you have an old computer laying around and know how to get in the bios, you can run Daphile pretty easily, and it's free.  Worth a shot.
I own the LampizatOr DSD Komputer music server and can control it via the Internet, using Squeezebox software or a direct link to its Daphile controller interface. Right now, I often access it with thiPeng Classic controller program on my iPhone 4 or my MacBook Air laptop (via direct link to the Daphile interface). It performs wondrously!

Post removed 

Any computer will do fine and deliver top notch sound if you connect using wifi (to avoid wired connections from your hifi gear to potentially noisy computers) and are comfortable using computers including things like maintaining backups.

I use a Gateway laptop that’s about 10 years old or more and newer Seagate USB drives for storage and backup.

Bluetooth streaming is even another viable option these days, even from portable devices running applications capable of CD or higher resolution streams via network connections to a server or other good quality music streaming source. Companies like Audioengine make affordable and well received gear for Bluetooth connectivity to hifi systems.

Definitely rip and stream CDs with good quality software for higher res files and use lossless format.

I use DBpoweramp to rip and mostly older Squeeze and newer Plex systems for playback from music servers.  Plex can be run on a multitude of affordable common hardware platforms both home and mobile.

Also of course find a DAC that is to your liking.