Why is 2 Channel better than multi-channel?

I hear that the music fidelity of a multi-channel AV Receiver/Integrated amp can never match the sounds produced by a 2 channel system. Can someone clearly explain why this is so?

I'm planning to upgrade my HT system to try and achieve the best of both worlds, I currently have a 3 channel amp driving my SL, SR, C and a 2 channel amp driving my L and R.
I have a Denon 3801 acting as my pre. Is there any Pre/Proc out there that can merge both worlds with out breaking my bank? Looking for recommendations on what my next logical steps should be? Thanks in advance.
springowl
Armyscout41 - "very disturbed by the BIAS opinions of the 2 channel ONLY crowd. the facts are, would you use a TANK for a drag race? Woud use a porsche in a combat zone? Multichannel was intended for MOVIE soundtracks and VIDEO concerts. To most of us, we would prefer the multi channel approach when using it on it's proper context. Those who claim they'd rather use 2 channel for surround sound? give me a break, it defeats the purpose and sounds like garbage to those of us who like watching home theater. 2 channel designs is strictly MUSIC to recapture a live performance. TWO different setups for 2 different purposes. I DON'T AND WILL NEVER AGREE with the BIASES of the 2 channel crowd. You are comparing apples to oranges. For movies, multi channel is superior, for music, two channel is superior, CASE IS CLOSED! but the truth is SOUND is in the EAR of the beholder not the CRITICS! "

Aren't movie soundtracks and video recorded concerts...music? A recording of a live performance, right? So we agree, MCH is better for these. But wait...you then say 2CH is designed strictly for music...pardon me...live reproduction of music. Wait, let me get this right; is superior. So which is it? You're words not mine.

The beauty of MCH is it does both better than 2CH, music and movies. No need to rely on subjectivity...which is really the holy grail of 2CH purists (identity), MCH has test results to prove it. Something 2CH guys run from. We use our ears to enjoy the music, not validate our existence.
Lol I was just kidding . I enjoy my 2 channel setup , I enjoy multichannel if recorded properly. But 2 channel can be better than multi channel if your front two speakers are high end , and the rest of your speakers are mid fi.

The bottom line is if you enjoy a recording , than you enjoy a recording. I have never been to a live concert where the band says OK we can only use 2 channels and Ive never been to a concert where the performers set up surround sound. In this hobby the only one you have to entertain is yourself , if you like X or Y or both X and Y
its all good.
Guess I never gave the subject much serious thought...I have the HT system in the living room for the 5.1 movies and a nice analog TT based system in a spare bedroom..seems to work for whatever listening/viewing mood I'm in...