Is it time for a phono stage?

I've been back into vinyl for a year now after almost a 40 year break and love it. Started with about 180 and now have around 800. The problem I find is it is hard to listen to equipment before buying. My system is a Mac MA6600 integrated,VPIPrime with Ortofon 2M black and a set of Revel F-30. Most of the equipment I've purchased has been based on reviews and reputation. I'm looking to spend in the 2-4k range and am leaning towards tubes. Current choices are The Chinook and the Herron ftph-2. I also was thinking about the Asthetix Rhea but was told it might not be a good match due to the Mac's input impedance being low. Honestly a lot of the technical stuff can be overwhelming but I know it's important. Looking for advice. Thanks.
rkbcpa55
There are a lot of fabulous phono stages in the price range you mention. I haven't heard them all; I have heard a large sampling of them.

But I have heard the Herron VTPH-2 and it bettered everything in its price range. Bettered them by a large margin. I own one because I haven't heard anything better.
Rkbcpa55 - I have not yet purchased a phono stage. I am very pleased with my C2300 MM/MC and have yet to find one that can better it for under $3500 (that's a lot of LPs).
Not tube, but I have really enjoyed my Musical Fidelity kW phono stage (there's one for sale here now, no affiliation with seller). It replaced and edged out an Avid Pulsus which I also quite liked. Both of these I liked considerably better than the SimAudio LP3.2 + optional external power supply.

I haven't heard it myself, but yes the Herron gets massive amounts of praise here. If I get the itch to try a new phono stage, that's at the top of my list.