threshold amp

I recently got a threshold stasis 3 amp.i might have made a mistake, does any one know if this amp is worth upgradeing being it will cost around 1000.00 bux.its a very clean piece but I paid 900.00 for it.should I sell it and buy a better model threshold for about 1500.00.my problem is if I upgradeit I don't know how far up the threshold chain I will have gone. anybody have any idea where the upgades would take it to? thanks glasspak
glasspak
Why do you think you have made a mistake? Too little power or you don't like the sound, or something else? If it's the sound, I would not go higher in the Threshold line, and I would question whether mods would change the overall character of the amp's sound. Another question is how old is the amp? Might it need some refurbishing (new caps?) rather than mods?
^I agree with the above posters. Letting us know about the rest of your system, room and taste could offer quite a bit of insight as well.
wow that's a fast reply,two things though I paid 900.00 shipping included. to be more clear ive seen later models like the s- series going for roughly the same price and it seems that after the upgrades } not mods }it may bring the amp up to the same level as the s-series with same or near power rating.keep in mind no cicuit ckanges just higher bias new output caps replace power supply filter ,power switch and any parts that need to be replaced.jon solderberg was the guy I had in mind. but his quote was 1300.00
oops in response to your reply prince thhe amp sounds real good.the thing is its 35 yrs. old or so and ive read all over the place that these amps all sound great but are in need of a doctors appointment and also with new parts and better more modern parts these amps really kick butt.if memory serves me upgrades included rebuild front end/ new caps with higher value /set bias bias controls/ new rectifier diode/output transistors/emitter resistors/main caps circuit board caps /binding posts/ rcas etc.. just about rebuilding the whole thing. my mistake maybe ,is theres later models for sale out there that hes done this to already that sell for less than mine. possibly some pure class a ones.
modest stuff.threshold stasis 3 /Conrad Johnson premiere 17 pre / meadowlark osprey speakers/ah njoe tjoeb cd tube player with upsampler