ARC D-115 use half of tubes

The amp is good but running hot and 5 am even in small volume. I don't need that 100w, somebody told me. I can use 4 of 6550s instead of 8.
Is that true? Which 4 I should remove? The two in roll or in line on each side? Thanks.
128x128nhe261

I had a mk1 version as I remember. It was a very nice sounding amp but seemed to run out of power very easily. Actually I sold the amp to a buddy who I believe still has it packed away somewhere. I had a pair of monitor type speakers at that time, I don't think they were terribly inefficient. It was 25 years ago and I just don't remember the model anymore.

As I said I replaced the D70 with a Classic 60. The Classic 60 was also rated at 60 watts but never seem to run out of power or sound thin. I later bought a pair of Soundlab Dynastats which I am sure were far less efficient. The Classic 60 still never seemed to run out of power in the same way. Granted the Classic 60 is a Hybrid design and not a pure tube amp.

I used to own a Classic 60 before I owned my D70Mk2. IMO, the Classic 60 is not in the same league as the D70Mk2. While the Classic 60 is a good amp, I don't think it has anywhere near the midrange purity or the ability to float the soundstage like the D70Mk2. OTOH, the Classic 60 is easier in some ways to get running optimally, plus it is less demanding on the quality of the tube. Lostbears, unfortunately I strongly suspect that you never truly heard what your D70 could sound like.
Hifigeek1, I think the OP is talking about a D115. However, the same advice would apply.