Down-firing subs and downstairs neighbors

Hello Audiogoners,

I am looking at subwoofers for 2 channel music. I will soon be moving into the 2nd floor of an older wooden house, with neighbors below me. I don’t want to drive my new neighbors crazy.

It seems intuitive that a downward-firing sub would penetrate the floor more than a forward-firing one--but is that true? Also, can you do things to mitigate, like put a down-firing sub on a piece of stone, or a particular material?

Any suggestions/info much appreciated
abarnett
Great true "Audiogon" story about this very subject. A couple of years ago I was selling a Parasound C2 and I got an email from someone asking if I would ship to France. I had never done that before, but said I would look into it. After researching the process I found that shipping to any EU nation was a pain in the ___ but as luck would have it my wife and I were taking our first trip to Paris and could he pick it up there? Well turned out he lived in Paris but we didn't do the deal (customs at CDG would have been a nightmare with a piece of complicated electronics) but.... He was very appeciative of the effort and invited my wife and I to dinner while we were in Paris. I thanked him, but thought his offer was a simple courtesy.

To jump foward, when we arrived in Paris there was a bottle of Champagne and an offer of dinner. We of course accepted, had a great dinner and got to see Eric's system. They lived in an apartment, of course (which was amazing btw, on the Seine, not near it but on it, with a wall of windows looking out on the river framing the Eiffel Tower). He had commercial sub from a movie house, and I asked how his neighbors liked that. He had the only response that would work in that situation: The guy below him was completely deaf and could did not care. So if you look for a place with an old deaf guy below you, you can get any sub you like!!!
I own the building.

But truthfully, to keep good tenants I have to watch it. They've had loud parties late into the night and i'm cool with it, so if I have a loud moment its cool too. Plus they take trips often!

Also, an old wooden house is a musical instrument. Sound will permeate every crevice in the floors.

Best to have your own detached single family house.
Yeah, it doesn't really matter whether the sub is down-firing or not - as may have been mentioned here by others. You issue is that the subwoofers soundwaves are going to couple with the floor and walls and such, and translate out to your neighbors. Yes, some of the sound will actually pass through the materials and into the spaces as well.
Putting more insulation will help a tad bit for bass, but not enough, as bass waves are long - and you really need to put serious mass between you and any other zones, and/or "de-couple" the boundaries!
You could build almost a complete floating floor over your existing one, which will help quite a bit in keeping the bass down bellow significantly. However, the walls still attach the floor, which should have issolated walls to be more completely effective in your effort - and there are alternatives here, depending on how involved you want to, and CAN get.
If it were me, and I lived in an apartment, I would simply be satisfied with some larger bookshelves that played down to the high 40hz range, AND FORGET ABOUT IT!
Really, it's all about quality anyway. Small speakers do well in small spaces - set up well. If you had a large space that would support such a beast, then fine. You live with neighbors all around. So I would be happy simply considering them, and just enjoying what I have, personally. But, you might be coming from a different place.
I say this, as I really used to enjoy going over to a friends house and listening to music and movies on his really nice monitor system, 2 channel! (sans the sub).
Perhaps you could do some reasearch on sound issolation on the cheap? Hummmmmm....
How about this - you go on craigs list, and look for some office particians that someone is giving away for free, cause they're moving buildings or business's or something! Then, you use those as your floating floor base, as well as side walls!!!! That would work! Lol- you might have to firm up the pannels in places, like the floor. But hey!..they'd be free!...
It's a thought
good luck