Gilmore Audio planars revealed

The Gilmore Audio speaker have finally been photographed for the world to see: Gilmore Audio

Disclaimer - I'm a dealer for the Gilmores, though at this point I'm still awaiting my first pair, as they haven't begun shipping yet.

The Gilmores push the edge of the envelope for planar technology in several areas. Innovations include an extremely thin (3 mil) Kapton diaphragm; bass extension to below 20 Hz; easy 8-ohm load combined with 92 dB efficiency (you can drive 'em with Atma-Sphere M-60's!); and maximum output level in the mid to upper 120's.

Designer Mark Gilmore is the webmaster of the Atma-Sphere Owner's Group website, as well as of the Sound Lab Owner's Group site. He's been around for a while, but this is his first commercial loudspeaker design (to the best of my knowledge).

I haven't heard 'em yet so can't comment on the sound (I know, that's all that really matters after all). I'm expecting a pair before the end of the year, and will post comments then.

Duke
audiokinesis
I agree with Albert.

Anyway, I prefer the center channel I got now, thank you very much...

:-)
-Mike.
One clarification: Total excursion is 2 inches or plus or minus 1 inch.

I don't know what to tell you and your friendly "expert" when you say that the cone doesn't go "in and out by 1 inch each way", except that you are wrong. Very simply, it does. How you can determine from a web-based pitcutre with resolution around 72dpi that "obviously it doesn't" is beyond me. The fact that you are so self-assured yet wrong should be embarrassing to both you and your "expert" friend. So I guess you are calling us a liar publicly. Then I expect a public apology from you personally and from you on behlaf of your "expert" when you see the physical proof that you are wrong.

You have an interesting strategy -- deny what we say is true as possible based on manufactured evidence and then use that newly acclaimed "fact" as refutation.

In terms of your other silly comment concerning the high QTS and weakness of the magnet, what does that have to do with anything? The magnet is exactly as strong as it needs to be given the open baffle design (no back pressure) and the responsiveness and compliance that is sought. This is called good engineering. Who cares that it doesn't match someone elses specs -- what does that have to do with anything? Heavy magnets require lots of power to make them responsive. Ours is as "heavy" as it needs to be given our design objectives.

Finally, our bass drivers on the model 2 operate from 200 Hz to 17Hz
(-3db at 17Hz, full output at 22Hz). And in terms of your claim that there is "no way 4 -12 inch dipole drivers will come close to (moving) the volume of air talked about" -- well congratulations, you are wrong again. At least you are consistent.
Your questions seem to be mostly in the form of statements, most of which are somewhat off the mark. Let me begin.

What makes you think that in order to be a "line source" that something needs to go from "floor to ceiling". What home speaker that claims to be a line source goes from floor to ceiling? If you want to see some examples of how folks create line sources in the pro audio world for live sound, go to www.meyersound.com. A line source in one sense is anything that is greater than a point source. But you are chastising us for something that we do better than any other ribbon based planar that we know of -- so your complaint is hard to answer. This is quite true of your other comments. But I will try to proceed one by one.

Vertical dispersion starts at 60 and 40 inches respectively and horizontal dispersion is 60 degrees.

If I am a reasonable distance back from the spekaer, I get a very full soundstage from the model 3. The sound doesn't truncate somehow above 40 inches --why would it?

We tilt the speakers back to increase disperson slightly but mainly so the speaker doesn't fall over -- and thus for aesthetics -- this way we can have a cute stand in the back instead of clunky feet on the front and back.

Whatever comb filtering effect is created by our topology, it is less than anyone elses -- not more because of it.

I want to clarify something with Mark concerning the doppler distortion and I will get back to you. I know that it is not a factor and I want to confirm that my understanding as to why is correct.

There are binding posts on the woofers (we are using Cardas) and if you are not seeing them, it is because of the perspective of the shot. The crossover is in a separate box that weighs sixty pounds and rests on the floor behind the speker. We are thinking about having a see through top so you can enjoy the view -- its quite impressive.

I agree with your statement that "I guess the proof will be in the listening."

Concerning the "center channel" and Mark's purported relationship to her:
No, its not Mrs. Gilmore. Mrs. Gilmore is 6'4" tall, weighs 300 pounds and has killed both of her former husbands with her bare hands for their indiscretions. Consequently, Mark has had incentive to concentrate on audio research and development and not stray or be distracted. As a result, marital bliss and his personal well-being have been sustained and therefore he has a lot to smile about. The woman in the picture is an alien from the planet Xenon. She is the latest version of their Humanoid Replications Program HRP. Given the advanced technological sophistication of her alien society, she has been an invaluable asset in helping Mark develop the special technology he is using in his speaker. As a token of appreciation, Mark has allowed her to participate in the photo shoot, thus helping her realize one of her lifetime dreams. It's nice to know that some alien societies share many of the same aspirations as us humans, thus providing a framework for cooperation and peace. These photos are as much a tribute to that cooperative spirit as they are a tribute to the fine example of advanced audio technology epitomized by the Gilmore Audio Model 2's and 3's.

Hope you found this helpful.
Hi Duke,

Since I was the first to fire a shot across your bow in this thread I now propose we simply allow you to show your wares at CES and other venues. I take no offense at your rebuttals while I still view the parsing of words such as "it's lighter than THE air it moves" akin to what the meaning of IS, is. I've repeatedly expressed that these may indeed be top drawer speakers, and we'll find out reasonably soon, which is good enough for me. What leaves me opened minded is Albert Porter being a Texas dealer. I doubt that Albert would be in this position unless someone who he respects a great deal made this recommendation, and Albert comes closer to soaring with eagles than hanging out with turkeys. I apologize if I've offended and wish for this thread to end on a happy note, urging all members to reserve judgement until we receive comments from trusted sources based on listening tests.

Most of the folks here would snicker at my modest two channel analog system until they heard it but few would question what I've built with my own two hands in my "street legal" race car. Having followed engine, chassis, power trasmission and traction progess since the mid 60's I've discovered that equipment manufacturers who use figures to lie also use partially clad, "fun bag" equipped models to avert the interested party's attention away from their outrageous claims. All of this may not apply to Gilmore speakers but simply be a poor marketing judgement call to folks like myself.

I trust that you are so close to and excited about this potentially great product that you don't understand our healthy skepticizm when faced with marketing statements that may push the envelope for credibility. That's how I'm reading your replies.

There isn't anywhere for this thread to go but way downhill from here unless we all back off a little, give everything the benefit of the doubt and reserve judgement. Since you have picked an especially powerful username I trust that you are hearing great things when auditioning this product.

Peace to all and especially you Duke. I know this hasn't been easy on you. I give you a lot of credit for taking the heat here. You've tried to explain each problem area. The only thing you have not addressed is price. How about a ball park figure here, say within $5,000?

Patrick

in this message you wrote "We are able to attain big excursions, cleanly -- plus or minus 2 inches!" but then in your latest message you say "One clarification: Total excursion is 2 inches or plus or minus 1 inch."

clarification?

then you launch an all out attack, calling him "silly" and demanding an apology. yeah.

i'm looking forward to your response to my post, mr. "integrity".