Fuses that matter.

I have tried six different fuses, including some that were claimed to not be directional. I have long used the IsoClean fuses as the best I have heard. No longer! I just got two 10 amp slow-blows WiFi Tuning Supreme fuses that really cost too much but do make a major difference in my sound. I still don't understand how a fuse or its direction can alter sound reproduction for the better, but they do and the Supreme is indeed! I hear more detail in the recordings giving me a more holographic image. I also hear more of the top and bottom ends. If only you could buy them for a couple of bucks each.
tbg

Lacee,

I only have fuses in my Spectron (SS) amp, one main and four rail fuses. My Wadia S7i has a separate power supply and has no fuse.

When my amp was originally modified, I had HiFi-Tuning Supreme fuses installed. There were no SR or AMR fuses back then and the HiFi Supreme fuse was the top dog.

When the SR and then the AMR fuses came out, I tried them and found that in my system, the AMR is clearly the one that gives me the sound that I prefer. Through the years I have used the IsoClean, PS Audio, HiFi Gold, HiFi Silver, Furutech, HiFiSupreme, SR and AMR fuses. I also have a WA fuse chip on the AMR fuse, as I do on all of the other fuses sitting in the closet.

After Norm's post about placing the SR rail fuses in his amp, I bought four SR rail fuses along with fuse chips for them and replaced my HiFi Supreme rail fuses. The sound was indeed better as Norm describes. However, the sound was also more powerful and not as laid back as with the HiFi Supreme fuses.

Then Tawa posted that the SR fuses weren't as dynamic in his system, so I bought four fuse chips for my HiFi Supreme rail fuses and put them back in this morning. The sound is more dynamic, but not as transparent or detailed as the SR rail fuses.

Last week the head Electrical Engineer at work asked me to bring in all of my fuses so that he could see them. His thoughts are interesting and thought provoking. He said that it appears that the Furutech and HiFi-Tuning fuses were fuses, filters and as filters, logically polarized. He also said that it appears that the SR and AMR fuses were indeed just fuses with no filtering.

He said that the filtering would explain why the HiFi fuses were more laid back, while the SR and AMR fuses without filtering would be more pure: more powerful and transparent.

This difference in the fuses may be more apparent in my system because of an unmentioned piece in this post, the room size. I'm in a 10' x 12.5' room. The effects of the various fuses may be more or less obvious or prominent according to one's room size.

Chuck
MR K- How did the E.E. infer that the Furutechs and Hi-Fi Tuning fuses were, "filters?"
Krell_man, I would agree that the SR Quantums are quite dynamic. I have no explanation for Tawa's experiences. I will soon have some more WA Chips and will try the AMRs.

I must admit that my experience with other electronic devices being zapped on the Tesla coil make me confident that this is the key to the SR Quantum fuse excellence.
I also found that putting WA Quantum chips on cap's also slightly bloats the sound with a loss of speed.
I've taken Thg's advice and put them in the breaker box, cap chips,cable chips and that works great for me.
The breaker box now looks like it's been sponcered by WA Quantum.
Tawa

Krell_man,
Your EE friend's observations are interesting. About a month ago I placed the SR fuses in my amplifiers and line stage and the purity, transparency and clarity improved noticeably compared to the stock fuses. The overall organic character of the system is unchanged. They are a very cost effective upgrade.
Regards,