Need advice on amplifier upgrade

I currently have 802 matrix III,a rega planet cd player and a sony es receiver which I plan to upgrade soon. I'd like advice on which amps would match up well and whether I should go with an integrated amp or power amp using my sony as a pre amp until i can upgrade that down the road.
tark1
Check out all reviews about the Bryston 3b-st 120 w per channel .$1565. Check owner reviews at www.audio review.com Allways audition first.
Check out all reviews about the Bryston 3b-st 120 w per channel .$1565. Check owner reviews at www.audio review.com Allways audition first.
The B&W's were introduced in 1993 and had a 90dB/watt efficiency. The entire Sony ES receiver line is capable of 100 watt RMS into 8 ohms and 200 watt peaks into the 4 ohm minimum impedence of the 802/III. That works out to 103 dB average (113 dB peak) before the amp clips! First find out if you are even playing at those levels by purchasing a Radio Shack Sould Level Meter and see how loud you really play your system a 1 meter. If you regularly play at above 100dB average levels (110dB peak), then you will need another 6dB of headroom, which means a 400 watt per channel amplifier! If not, here are two suggestions to improve your system greatly for the same investment: 1).- Buy a subwoofer, this will take the stress off the woofers of the B&W's and free your Sony amplifier of having to provide high current, and 2).- By now you have a LOT of CD's - buy a 200 CD carrousel.
My suggestion is to make sure to only purchase an amplifier you have listened to in your home with your system. You never know if you will like it until you get it home. I tend to buy used electronics, but you will have to have a local high end dealer who deals in used equipment to listen to it at home.
Listen to the B&K AVR 202,there will be no more questions.Happy listening and good luck.