Wi Fi and Hi Fi

Anyone in Audiogon land using Wi Fi (802-11b or 802-11g) to connect their computers to high speed internet?

Are there any issues with noise or interference with nearby high end audio components?

High speed is finally coming to our neighborhood via cable and I am looking at alternatives to connect our five computers.
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xalbertporter
I placed a call to a guy that does CAT 5 runs. He helped me when I upgraded my two alarm systems. Definitely talented at getting small wires into tight places.

I know the possibility of interference will be minimized with a hard wire system, but as with most residences, access is near impossible in some areas.

My new Apple Powerbook 17 is the only computer with built in Wi Fi, and it’s 802-11g compatible.

The two custom built Win machines run Microsoft XP Pro, but there’s also three desktop Mac towers running OS 9 / Jaguar 10.

The Apple Airport extreme will run the powerbook at either 802-11b or 802-11g (54 mbps). Coupled with a Linksys router, this should allow the Mac and Win machines access to high speed without problems (or so promised).

The company offering us high speed is Comcast cable. I believe their modem requires a single stationary IP address. If so, all the computers will need a sub address to share access. Anyone have experience with keeping these animals friendly and on speaking terms?

For anyone considering Wi-Fi I would recommend that they go with 802.11g instead of 802.11b. You get 54Mbs vs. 11Mbs. This may be why some were reporting slowdowns as people were added to the network. Pay attention to security and lock your unit down as recommended above. This can't be stressed enough. Make sure your base station has an integrated switch vs. a hub - better perfomance. A few extra dollars spent on a good name brand is usually payed back with fewer frustrations.

As for interference with your hi-fi, remember the inverse square law and keep your base station some distance from your audio gear. Also you would probably be best not to plug the base station to the same circuit as you audio gear.
albert,

i run a modest 2-computer airport extreme network at home ("premium dsl"- close to a ghz dwn/up) and have had no audio interference problems whatsoever. i have also used the asante' friendlynet wifi cardbus adapter in my "older" powerbook w/o audible effect.

-kelly
Albert, I have a linksys 802.11b wireless router in my house. When I istalled a a DSL line. I did hear some noise on the AC line, they installed a filter on the phone box outside. Worked like a champ. It was a high pitched squeel. Anyway it's gone.

How about you pack up the Walker, and the phono stage, bring it over for a test. Of course, I'll need at least 30 days (likely more) for it to settle down and go through my rigorous test regimen....
One more option to consider: using the phone line (after the fact).
I have a high-speed cable feed entering a router that then goes into a nearby phone jack which can be accessed through any other phone jack in the house.