NAD 3140 - I know nothing

I have just bought this NAD 3140 integrated amp and know nothing about it at all. In fact, I know nothing about hi fi at all, but I love well-reproduced music (jazz, classical, really old blues and other American "roots" music, and lots more besides), so I want to start learning. Unfortunately, my budget is extremely meagre.

I've searched around on the 'net and found references to a legendary NAD 3020 and a few others. They all seem to be well thought of, but nothing about this one, even specifications - and I don't even know how many watts output it has!

What I'd be most gratful for would be recomendations for cheap old speakers to match it, and a tuner too. Because I've read that CD players are more likely to be faulty, I've been thinking of using a new DVD player with it to play CDs (and kill two birds with one stone - I'll be able to watch DVDs too) - is that a good idea?

Just can't seem to get this kind of advice down here in New Zealand!
wetagogo
For speakers, try to hear these in hifi shops in your area, before buying. Are you near a goodguys or tweeter store? You can search for the location on the web.

If not, find hifi stores on your telephone book and try to hear these:

PSB
Paradigm studio 20
Monitor audio

Once you find one you like, you can buy them here on the audiogon used and save.

For a tuner, I would go with an old Marantz receiver like 2230 on ebay - less than $100. The marantz is an amp as well - you might like the sound of it better than NAD. Talk to the seller to make sure all is working, since they are old.

For a cd player, you can use Toshiba dvd 3960 - on ebay for $50.

Welcome to this exciting hobby...
Hope you find your listening pleasure...
Thanks folks, it's great to meet a bunch of enthusiats like yourselves who are willing to take time out to give a beginner a few pointers - and I will go along to stores and listen to speakers.

However, I probably have to stick with old second-hand speakers, for lack of cash. Of course, it's probably going to be a lot more hassle to track second-hand gear down, go to it's locale, etc.

So, if anyone does have any specific (old) speaker recomendations to help me narrow down the search, I can live with the fact that I might miss out on some gems because I didn't go to hear them because nobody recomended them. Especially if there are any jazz, classical, acoustic fans out there who have some smallish, cheap. old bookshelf type speakers they have been very happy with....
i second the recommendation on the paradigm speakers as well as the nht. at your $ level, imo, these will be a great place to start. btw, you will be pleasantly surprised at the quality of sound you can afford by purchasing used speakers or demos. REMEMBER...decent speaker cables, not real $$$, but keep in mind this is how the speakers will get that tiny bit of electricity to power them and it is a potential weak link. just my advice, we all had to learn this lesson over the years i think.
I would recommend this speaker.

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrmoni&1121495113

I have them and like them a lot.
Thanks Gonglee3 - But I'm in New Zealand, so shipping from the US is a problem - and this seller only ships witin the US anyway. But I'll look for the MB Quart 240 here.