BAT preamp owners

I was wondering if anyone would be so kind as to enlighten me on the differences between a vk 3i and vk 30 pre. I am thinking about adding some tubes to my system. I currently have an aragon 4004mk2 amp and altec lansing iconic horns. I sometimes switch out the aragon for a classe 10.
Any help would be appreciated. Also if you have switched to another pre please let me know. Thanks in advance, Larry
* living in cleveland no chance to demo.
lvk47
VK3i is older, it was superceded by the VK30.

The VK3i IMHO has a slightly veiled sound. This was my experience with the one I owned. At the used price points, a very fine preamp regardless. As with any preamp, system matching will tell all.

I have not heard the VK30.

I have currently a VK50SE, though I'm not currently using it, it has great finesse, very detailed not real "warm and tubey". A great preamp.

Want a warm tubey sound, probably Conrad-Johnson would be better, want detail, microdynamics?....the BAT preamps excel at these traits.

Best,

Paul :-)

I own a VK3i (office system) and a VK30 (main system). It's worth mentioning that the two preamps are not priced the same, so to some degreee it'll depend on your budget.

The two preamps are quite different; the 3i has four 6DJ8/6922 tubes while the 30 has six, although both preamps have remote controls the 3i is limited to volume only while the 30 also switches inputs, and of course they look quite different. When you pop the hood it's clear there are more (and better) parts used in the 30 than the 3i.

In terms of sound the two do have a "family" resemblance that is BAT's signature sound. Smooth, very slightly rolled off, non-fatiguing presentation and great imaging. Both preamps benefit from tube-rolling and are quite sensitive to interconnect (power cords don't seem to make a lot of difference). I find the 30 has better control of the bottom end and has a wider/deeper soundstage than the 3i; the differences are quite obvious but both units are terrific products in their own right. If you have the budget, buy the 30 but you won't be disappointed in the 3i if you choose to go that route. Click on my System for a feel for the associated equipment I'm using. Best, Jeff
Thanks for the info, may have to pinch a few pennies for awhile and go for the newer 30. help ...greatly appreciated, Larry
The BAT preamps I have owned, 3, had a character that was more solid state than tubes.