Tenor Hybrid v. VTL MB-450 Sig.

I am planning on replacing my VTLs with the Tenor stereo 150 hybrid . Since I will not be able to hear them first and since they are a substantial outlay over what my VTLs are worth, I am hoping that some of you may have heard both. Would you mind characterizing the differences that I should expect to hear? I have Merlin VSMMs, a First Sound preamp, and an Audio Logic 24mxl DAC. Other amps that I am considering are the Joule VZN-100s, or a CAT JL2. My pre-purchase buyers remorse is that they will be better but maybe not commensurate with the extra cost. I am aware of the higher cost/diminshing returns reality. However, from what I have read, these hybrids seem to be a huge step up. If I audition a piece and hear an improvement that meets my personal cost/benefit ratio, I buy it. So, with no personal experience with the Tenors, I am finding it is a bit difficult to make the leap to buy the most exp. piece of gear in my system. Any input you may have is greatly appreciated. By the way, JTinn and I have had several conversations about this subject. He had been very helpful and generous with his time. In this post, I am looking for more of a comsumer point of view.
brooksl
Bye the way Kevin, did you ever do the sixth toe mod to your speakers? This will make a really big difference for you and actually further reduce energy build up in the VSM while providing more stable footing. The additional bass extension and fullness makes a really big difference to the ambient energy and size of the presentation. The ERS and tuning puck makes the sound more uniform so you can really hear into the music core to a greater degree. Additive noise in the way of RFI and EMI can add a false fizzle to the sound and once this is removed, the resolution, smoothness and purity are enhanced.
Regards,
Bobby@merlin
Kevin, it's interesting you mention that about the Sound Labs. I came across a local guy that has a pair of Sound Lab M1 speakers and he was nice enough to invite me over this weekend. One question he asked me on the phone was "Do you listen loud?" I have never heard the Sound Labs but have always heard nice things about them. It'll be an interesting comparison.

Hi Bobby. I'm not a Merlin owner. I'm merely a Merlin admirer. I'm always amazed when I hear good things about speakers that cost far more, Rockports being a good example, but that don't have nearly the capability. The Rockports I've heard (Hyperion, Antares), for example, swallow dynamic nuance and suppress the dynamic and leading edge excitement inherent in live music. Merlin gets these aspects of reproduced music right.
Hi Kevin,
Sorry, I thought you were an engineer friend that owned the speakers in CA. Many thanks for your kind thoughts and feel free to contact me at any time if there is something that I can do for you. We would be pleased to have you in our Merlin family.
Regards,
Bobby
Hey guys, was just reading 6moons.com CES show report and from what I read in thier comments about the Merlin/CAT suite, apparently Merlin has any macro dynamic issues licked! :-) No complaints about dynamic compression or the ability to not play loudly... apparently it was a wee bit too loud when 6moons staff members visited! D'oh! :-0 Of course it doesn't hurt when you got 400lbs of 150W CAT JL3 triode monoblocks muscle to help deliver those clean, clear, and robust SPLs. :-) ;-)

You can see what they have to say at this link:
http://www.6moons.com/industryfeatures/ces04/ces04_7.html

On a more serious note, I'm sorry if we made things difficult for any neighbors (there were no complaints though from them during the show).... at one point during the show, I recall Bobby playing the Tony Degradi Trio CD (which has some amazing dynamics) at some rather "robust" SPLs and I was getting ragged on by Bobby, Kenny, and Lee becuase I was snoozing in the nice big comfy chair in one corner of the room while this was going on. Thing is, if the sound in the room was not as clean, clear, natural, and uncompressed as it was, I would have not been 'power napping' in the corner chair, but would have been heading over to the preamp to turn it down or walking out of the room.

Rich Brkich
Owner, Signature Sound