I finally got a Mcintosh amp

Hi All,

Well, after all the yearning & anticipation of getting My first Mcintosh piece. I have to say that my impressions of the MC 2505 were that of disappointment. The Amp itself was in excellent cosmetic shape for it's vintage. No Rust pitting, about two or three very minor dings, and a hint of of the common Bubble around the headphone jack (the VU meters were more a washed out green then Blue - could be from age??).

After the inital inspections, I preceeded to hook up my preamp, Cd Player & Paradigm Mini's. I then got out a few of my reference CD's and started my little work out....... Where's The "Airy highs and or midrange", where's the "inticingly broader soundstage" or transparency? Lastly, where the hell is the bass response (these where all the question I was asking myself)?

Per reviewers of these Vintage Mcintosh pieces. They're supposed to be "Tube-like" in sound. I don't think so...(Never hearing tubes before, I was under the impression that Tube sound is all those things and flat out more musical). Anyway, if this MC2505 is "tube-like", then My Rotel RB 976 is as well. Only My Rotel has better bass & Dynamics, even in it's 60watt X 2 capacity.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to diss Mcintosh or their costumers. I still Lust after that sound of the Mc122+Mc15+Mini Monitors, that I heard at My dealers showroom about a year and a half ago. I guess Mcintosh has gotten better in the later years of production. So, needless to say that the MC2505 went back. I'll have to save up a few more dollars to get the Mc amp I really could live with (Namely One from at least the late 90's or above).

Cheers,
Jalen
jalen01
I second the advice from C123666. I have a MC225 and its sound is just beautiful. Haven't even had to upgrade the caps yet. There is plenty you can do with 25 wpc if you just plan around it.

Jeff
Well, I started this thread to report my findings in the vintage Mc2505 amp. Not to harp on them as a company or it's fans. If you guys recall, I was here seeking advice from "seasoned Mcintosh fans" comparing the older amps to the new? Well, a few people said sure all Mc amps sound alike yadda yadda. I guess I was really seeking the go ahead to purchase the cheaper\older amp to gain the "singnature Mc sound". Was I expecting to much? Maybe?

Again, I am still a Mcintosh fan, and plan on owning a good one (Better Sonics) someday. I guess that saying is true, "you get what you pay for".

Jalen
I am not surprised. My impression of this amp was that it imparted a kind of "zinginess" to the music. Dynamics were produced in an unpredictable kind of shocking way to the central nervous system. The human voice and accoustic instruments were particularly affected by this "zingy" quality. If you want to hear the best thing McIntosh made listen to an MC-225. Get it rebuilt or do it yourself: new caps, hex-fred diodes, etc. The MC-225 sings. The output transformers are the key to the sound of the 225. By the way, beware of the reissue MC-275. It is NOT the same as the original 275, and the NOT refers to the output transformers which made the McIntosh amps different by patent from any others.
None of the newer amps will sound as sweet as a mc225 in top operatins condition with good NOS tubes in it; period. They will play louder and look way cool but that is not really the point. As for buying them simply for collecting; prefer to do that with cars and listen to the stereo stuff.
I got my hands on a pair of MC40s. Audioclassics serviced it, and the sound is, oh my, I have a lackof words......musical.Using an Audio Research LS7, it was very detailed, room filling, and realistic.

My newer MC162 is also fun to use.

I havent heard the amp you have bought, but I believe the sonic signature that people talk about refers to the early Mac tubes.

Find yourself a pair of old monoblocks and get them serviced. You might be surprised at how modern they sound.