The Next Step - what would you do?

Dear Audiogoners,

i'm sitting here listening to my setup, and realising my last thread has lost relevance.

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?cspkr&1260210396&read&keyw&zzthiel=cs0=5

i have a choice to make now, after about 15 years of slow, consistent upgrading. i need to take my system to the next level. i'm sure we've all been there at one point or another. so my current system is:

Pass Labs Aleph 5
Pass Labs D1
CEC CD2100 [running Supra AES/EBU]
Thiel CS 0.5
MIT MH-750 speaker leads
budget XLR leads otherwise

so i see the choices as follows:
1. get an amp with more current, and bigger thiel speakers
2. move to bigger, more sensitive speakers [spendor SP100, big proacs]
3. get a new girlfriend

all perfectly viable choices, but i'm sure both 1. or 2. would be less expensive. i've run the gamut of musical styles, but as i get older, and my hifi becomes more resolving, i find myself drawn to recordings of un-amplified instruments, such as old jazz recordings. still, i like a little thump now and then, any system should be reasonably flexible.

So, Audiogoners, what would YOU do, and why??

all the best!
David
skickaskinka
I would say move out of the Thiel line. I've never been a big Thiel fan. For a big soundstage and more resolution, try Audiophysic Virgo II or Sonics Allegras
I have owned Thiel CS 1.5 and the CS 1.6 speakers and can tell you the newer 1.6 is much better. I suggest going with #2.

I might as well throw in an idea or two ...

What about the ultra efficient speaker route? Klipsch Belle, K-horn, Altec Model 19? The Aleph 5 should have more than enough power to drive speakers with that high of efficiency. You’re current system is hardly lacking from my perspective.

You might want to ask the question: "What is it you seek?" "What is it that you are looking to improve?" Your post leaves a lot to the imagination.

One other possibility that jumps out at me is adding a tube linestage. An ARC LS-25 with balanced in and out might give you a slightly more relaxed sound. That matched with the horns might be an interesting change. Then again, it might be a little too much switching around. Maybe start with the linestage? I am running a Modwright SWL 9.0 Signature with Proac Responce D Two speakers and I am really happy. That being siad: I am in a small bedroom so there isnt much space to fill. I have a close friend with a Pass Labs X350, an ARC LS-16 and B&W 802's. I found this to be an excellent combination in a fairly large room. The Pass amp and ARC tube pre seemed to match up quite nicely. He went through several combinatione before deciding on the Pass Labs amp. If the Aleph 5 isnt enough to drive whatever speaker you choose, possibly jump to an X150 or X250?

What worked for me was to first choose a speaker that fit my room and musical preference ... then find a linestage/amp combo that gave me what I was looking for in terms of presentation and volume level. Finally I purchased an excelent DA converter and I am very pleased.

My current system :

Modwright SWL 9.0 Signature
Mark Levinson No. 23.5 Amplifier (Low Freq)
Mark Levinson No. 27 Amplifier (High Freq)
Proac Response D Two
Velodyne DD-10 sub
Target Stands
Mark Levinson 360S DA converter
Wadia No 23 CDP
Sony NS 9100ES SACD
Logitech Transporter
ARC PH3 SE Phono stage
Denon DP 62L

Cables are a mix :

Cobalt ultra speaker cable (2 sets)
Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's
Acoustic Zen WOW IC's
Cardas Crosslink IC's
Signal Cable power cords

Music :

Rock
Jazz
Blues
Hard Rock
Alternative

Good luck ...
Tonywinsc, i'd rather get a new girlfriend than have TWO systems! haha, thanks for the post but i neglected to mention my apartment is only 86m2, with no dedicated listening space. my system has to be in the living room, without sending off geek alarms [more than it already does].

Honest1 and Timrhu, you guys are right on the ball, i think the audio physic virgo or CS1.6 are good suggestions.

Horseface, thanks for your post, i have had Cornwall IIs in the past and would like to stay away from horns as i'm not crazy about their imaging qualities, or tone. though i did admittedly love the corwalls. and you're correct, my post was a little too vague.

i didn't really do a good job of communicating what it is i am after. For the record, i am satisfied with the overall tone and character of the system as it is, but i just need more resolution and dynamics. i realise there are generally two ways i could upgrade from where i am, and that is, more current, or more sensitive speakers. my question is not about 'what' to buy, but 'why'.

the real question is:
in your varied and likewise relevant opinions, Audiogoners, which direction would you choose to go, and why?

cheers!
D
Before doing anything else, experiment with a better quality balanced cable between your D/A and amp. It could easily solve your resolution problem and really help with the dynamics too.