How much weight can an upstair room can hold?

I was " confined" to 2 small empty bedrooms for my A/V gear(14x16 and 14X15)and they are both upstairs. I have added up the weight of all my equipments and racks/stands in one room and it's about 400 lbs so far . I am looking into some mono-amps and some speakers for the other room. Being living in a city that tends to have some " foundation" issue, is it safe to load up another 200 lbs equipments in the other empty room. The builder is no longer in business so ther is not much help there. Any one who is in the same boat can share a thought or two ?
andrewdoan
Back in my more "recreative" days, I was renting the upstairs apartment of an old farmhouse and fell asleep in the living room while I was filling my waterbed. When I awoke (about 3 AM) the height of the top center of the bladder was above my waist line (and I'm 6-3). Given the weight was probably over a ton, I was very lucky it didn't crash down onto my landlords dining room table and kill someone. I told him about it a few years after I had moved out. He thought it was hysterical. He died some years later in jail from alcohol withdrawl serving DUI time. I have absolutely no idea where this was going but at least BE ALERT. Yeah, I know, the world needs more lerts. FWIW
YOu can ask your local building official what your state building code is based on for a residential structure second floor. Also you can figure that a 200 lb amp = one fat-a$$ed American and draw your own conclusions. And remember that most building codes would be based on a load in terms of weight per square foot so a 200 lb amp is probably providing a similar load to a 200 lb person standing up.
You should have no problem. The heaviest item per square inch in your home is your refrigerator when full. It's even heavier than a waterbed per sq inch. There are lots of homes with frig's on the second floor. I have my record collection and stereo on the second floor of my house. My house is over a hundred years old. I did add support under the records but not the rest of the room. 400 lbs is about 2-3 people at most BTW.