Your greatest high end audio purchase!!!

My audiophile journey has extended to over 40 of adventurous sonic delight. Over the coarse of my over 40 year journey as an audiophile, like so my others, I cycled through a multitude of speakers, amps, cables, etc,. Now that I’m an old guy, I’ve pretty much settled on my "End-Game" audio system for the long haul, primarily because I simply love the way it sounds, and also because, at this juncture, I no longer have the will, nor do I have the desire to continue the crazy (but fun) merry-go-round of audio components in and out like I did in years past (my spouse and my wallet thank me). When I look back on all the high-speed audio gear that I’ve owned down through the years, and after giving it much insightful thought, I’ve come to the conclusion that, after everything was said and done, my beloved Revel Salon 2 speakers were my overall most pleasurable and greatest purchase of all. What was yours?

kennymacc

My McIntosh XRT-28 speakers. I had pretty good equipment by then, but lower level speakers. I had a chance to get them for a good price and I never looked back. 6'5" of beautiful sound to my ears. 

These posts caused me to reflect on my audiophile journey.  I think my most exciting purchase was my first (you never forget your first) receiver,  the Concord CR-400 AM/FM "Quadrophonic" receiver from the late 70s.  I loved the blue and green display on the front and all the different settings - loudness, synthetic, etc. and the great weighting of the tuning knob.  At the time, I thought it sounded great paired with a set of Marantz speakers.  

I recently re-read my baby book that my mother kept and found a comment where she said that "he loves to play with the knobs on the hi-fi set."  I guess our love of gadgets and audio equipment is coded in us at birth.

I remember taking all of my audio gear to and from college every year.  I had floor standing speakers on wheels and a home built rack for all the equipment - Hafler pre and power amp (kits that I assembed), Dual turntable, Soundcraftsmen equalizer.  Seems crazy in retrospect that I lugged all that stuff around with me and took up half the dorm room with the equipment and empty boxes.  My roommates never complained.

Post removed